What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trey Johnsons, RV-7 amphibian '' where is it now?''

gabb

could someone tell me if trey johnsons rv7 amphibian is still around??and some contact details...
regards glenn

Last edited:
Hi!

Does anyone have any numbers on that nice plane? Like speeds, fuel, distances etc.
Or some intresting links. :)

Thanks.

RV Amphib

Cliff was kind enough to give me a ride when the wheels were on and demoed the IFR capabilities. All I can say is... What a plane!!!

Also watched it get fueled at Twin Oaks at last EAA105 breakfast. When was the last time you saw someone fueling an RV and had to use a ladder?

Hi!

Does anyone have any numbers on that nice plane? Like speeds, fuel, distances etc.
Or some intresting links. :)

Thanks.
RV7 Amphib
IO390/210hp
130knots cruise
175 knots in tail wheel configuartion
10GPH average
400nm range with 1/2 hour reserve
Lots of links via Google "RV7 amphib"
Also see ClamarFloats.com

How much fun would N67683 be in Sweden?
I've thought about it, but don't know logistics.

Pretty sure I saw this plane here at Cameron Park last month------by the time I got a chance to go look at it, it had flown the coop.

RV7 Amphib
IO390/210hp
130knots cruise
175 knots in tail wheel configuartion
10GPH average
400nm range with 1/2 hour reserve
Lots of links via Google "RV7 amphib"
Also see ClamarFloats.com

How much fun would N67683 be in Sweden?
I've thought about it, but don't know logistics.

Ok, thanks.
Quite draggy anyway then, but what should one expect. :)
Is the floats monted in the regular maingear fittings front and back (7 & 7A)?

N67683 would have so much fun here! Hundreds of nice lakes, very atractive archipelago with lots of seaplane bases with facilitys, and world heritages.
And of corse the mountains and the beutiful Norway with its fjords on the other side.

My RV build is on paus. I?m discussing with a friend to build a -9 togheter instead, and I will investigate the posibilitys to set it on floats. :D

Regards

...My RV build is on paus. I´m discussing with a friend to build a -9 togheter instead, and I will investigate the posibilitys to set it on floats. :D

Regards
When I built my -9 I thought about putting in the gear towers for this mod but never did. That is also the reason I primed every part.

I have often wondered why Tray put the -7 on floats and not the -9. I would have thought the longer wing of the -9 would make a better float plane but I really don’t know anything about flying off of water. Maybe someone could ask him.

When I built my -9 I thought about putting in the gear towers for this mod but never did. That is also the reason I primed every part.

I have often wondered why Tray put the -7 on floats and not the -9. I would have thought the longer wing of the -9 would make a better float plane but I really don?t know anything about flying off of water. Maybe someone could ask him.

You didn't ask me but :D I would guess he went 7 for the horsepower and strength

He also evidently can take the floats off and have an aerobatic -7..."175 knots in tail wheel configuration"

Joe

Is the floats monted in the regular maingear fittings front and back (7 & 7A)?

I am curious about this myself.

I plan to build a set of floats when the -7 is finished. So when i get to the fuse kit I would like to build in the float mounting hardware.

So, any info on how the floats are attach to the -7 fuse would be nice.

You didn't ask me but :D I would guess he went 7 for the horsepower and strength

I knew someone would bring this up. If "strength" is an issue, are you saying that all those Cessnas flying around with floats aren't strong enough?

As for the acro thing w/o the floats, OK, that I get.

The Amphibian RV-7 was at Arlington this year, parked next to the Vans booth... Quite an impressive airplane. It really looks neat on floats, quite reminiscent of the Supermarine racers of years gone by.

I knew someone would bring this up. If "strength" is an issue, are you saying that all those Cessnas flying around with floats aren't strong enough?

As for the acro thing w/o the floats, OK, that I get.

Nope not saying that at all but thanks for the reply

RV 7 with Floats

I remember reading about it in either the EAA magazine or Kitplanes. They did strengthen the fuse at certain points for the floats as I remember the article.
It was built at a builder assist hangar and the technical hurdles were quite significant. A real head turner, I can only imagine it coming off the water.
And we do get use to 160-170 knots flying an RV 7a but when my plane would not start (due to water into the intake manifold), I got a ride back to base in a Cessna and 100 knots really makes you appreciate the RV 7a.

Steve Anderson
RV 7A 135 hours
Lafayette, La.
Hot, humid, and muggy.

My Father ordered a 206 from Cessna in 2000. The float provision was an extensive option including a larger wing spar and fuse modifications. I think it was listed as float provisions on the order.

The plane did not come with floats though this option was needed if it was ever to be on floats, which was the plan.

Back