What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying RV-7 Builders... What did ya spend?

jpurban

Hi,

I'm interested in the RV-7 and have used the RV-7 cost estimator on Van's website, but that left me wanting to know more.

So, I thought I should ask some of the very detailed builders on this forum how much they spent building (not operating) their RV-7. I know answers will vary widely -- that is half the reason I'm asking.

I'd just love to see an Excel spreadsheet with all the avionics, accessories, tools, etc. that you purchased as part of your project. This might help me understand the variety of options available and the associated costs.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

John

I have every single receipt stashed in a file folder and someday I might get brave enough to add them up. Till then I can only guess and it hurts to do that.;)

No spread sheet, but I find Vans numbers very real.

Here's my numbers
RV-7 QB(06'price) ~$28000
RV specific tools $800(borrowed the expensive ones)
rebuilt IO-360 w/everything $20000
prop WW200RV w/gov $8800
tire upgrade $80
FWF(so far) $2500
panel components $4000(still need D180)
lights, strobes, etc $600
nuts/bolts, chemicals, glass, etc $500

So far I'm in under $70K. But still have Dynon, interior, paint and misc. So figure another $8000 to go.:eek:

A lot but not too much

I think the numbers are close, but I find myself buying $20-$200 in random **** every few weeks. Your disposition to be frugal/disciplined will dictate how close to that price you end up at.

Stuff I ended up buying during the build cycle:

• Random tools (probably $1000 worth, not counting my starting toolset)
  • Nicer eyeball vents
  • Those nice push-to-lock connectors for pitot/static lines
  • Better pitot/static lines
  • Various electrical connectors/sockets (experimenting took several tries to find the right ones)
  • Random nuts/bolts/screws (the SS torx screws are nice)
  • Wire harnesses (for AP servos, etc)
  • Flexible fuel/brake lines + a bunch of hose-ends
  • Upholstery
  • LED landing lights
  • Heated Pitot
  • A mini fridge for the hangar (+ toaster, hot water maker, etc)

I don't really want to know what I've spent so far, as then I'd have to tell the wife if she ever asked! However, no matter how much you've spent it will be hundreds of thousands of dollars less than a new production plane of comparable performance/capability. Unless you put in a turbine.

And I'm not even done with my build yet! -yikes-

Last edited:
100+

25 to vans (QB), 35 to panel (nice but not all out , 2XGRTHS, DII VSGV, sl30, GNX300, 327, 496, 8000B, 2 1/4" backups), 25 to engine (180HP), 5+ FWF (hoses, oil cooler, exhaust, alternator, ...), 7 prop, 5+ tools, 5+ misc (electrical, etc). No paint yet.

THE RV Grin - priceless :D

No doubt!

Some of us didn't do this because we didn't want to know. :)

I'll probably do just the same -- That is why I'm looking for those brave souls that don't mind sharing their pain BEFORE I get started. Then, I'll ask all my friends to never ask me questions like this to avoid interrupting my delusion.

(Are those willing to talk about the costs sadists or masochists? I always get the 2 confused.) :)

I'm one of the masochists, I guess! I'm also into 13+ years of building!! When I first started, I went to a friend's house and was shocked to hear that he was in his 5th year on his RV-4.

I'm one of the masochists, I guess! I'm also into 13+ years of building!! When I first started, I went to a friend's house and was shocked to hear that he was in his 5th year on his RV-4.

Nah - You just have a little more "clarity" and a little less delusion. I started this thread with the hope of getting reasonable, realistic all-in cost estimates, which is a very scary topic.

Likewise with completion times -- I probably should have asked about those too. I've already accepted that it'll probably take about 2,000 to 2,500 hours total building time (including time for research activities, etc.) over 5 to 10 years, which assumes 20 to 40 hours per month - 5 to 10 hours per week. That is still pretty optimistic for a working stiff.

I'd think about ordering a QB kit to speed things up, but $10k is a pretty large percentage increase (10% to 15%) in $70k to $100k airplane, which is the range of values we've heard from folks on this thread.

Also, spending $10k on a QB just means I'd have to save (i.e. wait) that much longer before I could buy other items -- A QB kit would indeed save me effort, but likely not get me flying any sooner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to bucking all those rivets or sealing the fuel tanks. I'm not a masochist. :)

It's not much different than the other boy's toys,...

I just told my wife it was almost like the other guys hobbies. Pretty much the same as a new Surburban to haul around a pretty decent 20 foot bass boat with a 200 hp motor. :p Then later I told her that we needed a fifth wheel trailer to stay at while at the lake and of course another surburban to pull it :)

So our toy is about as much as the other guys stuff,... couple of Surburbans, a nice bass boat, weekend trailer and now I'm thinking about as much as a new four wheeler and jet ski to finish it off the paint job,.....

yup,.... just like my neighbors ;)

Bill S
7a finishing

PS don't talk in terms of dollars, it's downhill from there :eek:

To Make You Feel Better

I spent quite a bit more on an RV 7A. I went with Subaru engine
and had to replace with a IO 360. Ouch.

I have a Blue Mountain Sport that I will have to replace. Ouch.

Sent three kids to private high school. Ouch

Solution, don't retire, keep working.

Like the wise old guy told me once, I have all the money I need for the rest of my life as long as I don't buy anything else. How true.

For the love of aluminum people!

Could some nice moderator please delete any and all trace of this thread before someone's wife finds it? I know of at least one wife who never ever needs to see this thread and I am sure there are others.

Old Joke

Could some nice moderator please delete any and all trace of this thread before someone's wife finds it? I know of at least one wife who never ever needs to see this thread and I am sure there are others.

Elderly builder on his death bed asks his best friend to make sure that his wife doesn't sell the plane for what he told her it cost.

Jim Sharkey

You guys in the US get it easy. The last time I looked carefully my cost so far is $178K. still have paint to go. My mate (RV7A) didnt get any change from $215K.:eek:

You guys in the US get it easy. The last time I looked carefully my cost so far is $178K. still have paint to go. My mate (RV7A) didnt get any change from $215K.:eek:

Phil,
Thanks for posting. Somehow I don't feel quite so guilty now. :):)

I saved every receipt and added them all up when I finished phase 1. It came to US$90K and change. I upgraded a few things, went with a nice new engine/prop combo, a nice CAD interior, andair valves, nice airvents. I wouldn't change a thing today, except I'd probably end up spending more on fancy avionics. I built mine just before the nice MFD's hit the market, so today I'd put in an Advanced 3500 or 4500 instead of what I have...and if I keep the plane after the -10 is built, I'll upgrade the panel to include whatever Rob has out that fits. I like his stuff.

My desire was to build a comfortable 2 place cross country airplane, that would be flown fully loaded on maximum fuel endurance hops, as I use the plane for both local fun hops and extended cross countries on business. I never set out to build the lightest RV7A ever built, because I would have sacrificed some comfort there and I'm not into extreme aerobatics. The plane was painted in my hangar by a friend and me, so the cost includes the paint and supplies ($2500) but no labor in paint. I did have my avionics pre-wired, but did all my own panel work.

Mine was a QB, wings and fuse. I took 5 years to complete the airplane. There is often no advantage in what you get for a QB and how long it takes to finish. These things don't finish themselves, they take commitment in money, heart, soul, and time. I like the idea of going with QB wings only (which is the way we went on the -10) because they are really well made and I think you save the most time there. If you go with a slow build fuse, you can install stuff along the way a little easier (IMHO).

Go for it now, you'll be flying sooner!!

1/3 of the cost is the vans kit,
1/3 of the cost is the engine,
1/3 of the cost is avonics,
1/3 of the cost is the firewall forward kit,
1/3 of the cost is the prop,
1/3 of the cost is miscellanceous shipping and parts you screw up,
1/3 of the cost is interior and paint
1/3 of the cost is tools
1/3 of the cost is lease on a hanger

At least that is how its working for me:D

My RV-10 was....

...$160,000 delivered. My -6A came in around $75,000 with a majored engine by me, used instruments and later upgraded with TruTrak and an SL40.

Blue skies,

My wife is in charge writing the bills and she tells me $135K for building it and another $6K for Avgas in the last 7 months since it flew first.

I'm a different breed of RV builder. Being a younger family man I'm very frugal and actually enjoy simplicity. Slow build -7 with a painted interior using almost all the supplied equipment from Van's (that you already paid for), a very simple pannel with a Dynon D-100, GRT EIS, Icomm radio, docked handheld GPS, a hole where the Xponder will be someday, Kuntzleman lighting, and a very simple paint job can be done for a very reasonable price.

A used mid time 180 HP Lycoming with a Catto prop and a DIY firewall foreward kit in the works will be my final financial push. I"m on track to spend way less than most RV type folks. I might even be able to spring for the ECi kit....but we'll see.

Once you get into the firewall the nickle and diming really starts though

Remember Richard Bach's words...

...when he bought a T-33. Paraphrasing, he said...

The T-33 costs less than a Bonanza, and much less than an Aerostar, but it burns a lot of gas. I pay for the T-33 with the money I save by not buying a Bonanza, and I pay for the gas with the money I save by not buying an Aerostar. If that ever runs out, I plan to not buy a Learjet.

I'm using a similar argument for the $100K I expect to spend on my RV-7..."Think of all the toys I'm not buying, dear."

Cost of building.

Never added it up and probably never will. Have good estimate in my head and will keep it there. However, you can be pretty sure it will likely be more than you expect; Just too many options out there and it is hard to resist them. But cost notwithtstanding it is worth evey penny and every hour you put into it. Regardless of cost it is a bargain. Just grit your teeth and have at it. You will be plesantly rewarded. :eek:
gclark

Back