What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eggenfellner Subaru field data

Jumbo

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I have read through the Eggenfellner Subaru discussion in and I would like to share some field data on the 2007 Eggenfellner Subaru H-6 with you.

This is my first post on this forum and so I just introduce myself a little. My name is Heinz and I am from a place called Muenster in Germany (Europe, the other side of the pond).

I am flying since I am 13 years old (started with gliders and now at the age of 46 (it is my birthday tomorrow) I have logged some 1,500+ hrs ? mainly collected during the time when I went to university and when I was a flight instructor for PPL students at the same time (I was freelancing and collected some 600+ hrs training at that time).

The planes I have flown are Mooney, Piper Arrows and all the Cessnas as well as French built planes. I have owned a gardan Horizon (French) and a Grumman AA-1 (the 1969 model with the early wing) in the past (the AA-1 was good fun - however certainly a bit underpowered).

Since last September I fly the Subie Robin (ca. 1,325 lb empty weight, 2,205 lb MTOW, wing area 147 sq ft, all wood and ca. the size like a RV-9 but ca. 450 lb more TOW than the RV-9) and have logged ca. 135+ hrs with the 2007 H-6 engine with variable pitch propeller. Google ?PH-ERD? for some videos.

The empty weight of the latest Robin stock plane with a Lyco O360 and fixed pitch prop is ca. 1,300 lb as per their advertising ? however PH-ERD has on top of the the steam instruments a BMA EFIS Lite, a TruTrak Digiflight II VS autopilot with 2 servos and a tablet PC with PocketFMS as navigation software which you might take into consideration when it comes to a weight comparison.

The FWF set up is the 2007 Eggenfellner H-6 with the two larger radiators, the oil cooler below, the latest GEN 3 geardrive, MT 18B/175 3 blade electric variable pitch prop, under the cowl muffler (I just have passed the Dutch noise measurement test with that set up) and stock cowling however with a slightly larger exit area at ca. 90% of the Eggenfellner specification (no cowl flap).

During the noise measurement tests two weeks ago I had to climb from 750 MSL to 1300 FT MSL with 70 kts IAS more then 10 times in a row at MTOW (999KG, 2205 lb) with 2550 prop RPM / WOT and go around with fixed pitch with 85 kts IAS at 27? C or 80 ?F OAT - the temps were: oil ca. 95? C / 203? F max., coolant still 65? C / 150? F, gearbox 75? C / 176? F.

In normal climb with WOT and ca. 2300 to 2500 RPM and with a fuel flow of ca. 9.5 gal I get, depending on load, ca. 900 - 1100 ft/min. with an IAS of 90 to 95 kts (which ca. 20 kts above Vy). Temps in climb are max. 195 ?F oil, not above 150 ?F on the coolant and ca. 170 ?F on the gearbox on a 60 ?F OAT day (on the ground).

Than I cruise with 127 kts TAS (WOT/2100RPM at 1500 ft MSL) to 132 kts TAS (WOT/2300RPM at 6500 ft MSL) with a fuel flow of 8.7 gal each. The stock Robin can do that as well however with ca. 1 gal more fuel flow ? or you go 10 - 15 kts slower.

Overall (incl. taxi, T/O, climb, cruise, descent the same fuel flow than in cruise, landing tax) PH-ERD uses ca. 9 gal per flying (not block) hour in comparison to 10 gal on the stock plane at the same speeds.

So my findings (field data I have collected ? no third party information) are that the fuel injected, electric ignition, variable pitch prop Subaru converted Robin plane
- has a weight surplus of ca. 25 lb over the stock (carb O-320, mags, fixed pitch) plane
- either goes 15 kts faster with the same fuel flow or burns 1 gal less fuel.

I never had a technical problem which prevented me from going where and when I wanted right from after 1st flight. We replaced the front gear seal (30 USD, 3 hrs work) and replaced the fuel pressure regulator (100 USD, 1 hr work) though - but that was it.

I just report what I see and leave it to everyone to draw his/her own conclusions ? anyway, feel free to ask for more information if you like.

Regards, Heinz

I have not been perfectly precise ..

... it is my 2nd thread actually and the Eggenfellner uses high quality car gas vs. the stock Robin which needs Avgas 100LL which I forgot to mention.

Heinz

Eggenfellner H-6 Subie

Heinz,
I was curious as Jan has sold a great number of Subaru engines in Europe and I wondered why. I assume Leaded 100ll is not available or is unbelieveably expensive. Good luck with your plane.

S S Anderson
RV 7A Flying
Lafayette, La.

Just field data

Daryl,

as mentioned: just field data - collected over ca. 135 hrs. People are free to do what they want with it, however if any questions let me know.

Sorry for any spelling and grammar incompatibilities (I am German and English is not my primary language).

Heinz

Back