What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternative control lever for manual aileron roll trim

MacCool

Well Known Member
I'm looking for alternatives to the Van's aileron trim control lever that is on my RV-9A. I did try the knob from JD Air Parts but don't particularly care for it either.

Any other aftermarket alternatives?

i am also very interested in an alternative solution for a 7, which should be the same as a 9. i just threw out the original aileron trim linkage because it didn't work well.

The spring-bias manual trim system in my -9A works well enough. My left wing is a little heavy, but not much and the system brings it pretty level unless I get extreme in fuel tank balance left to right. I am just looking for a little more attractive and functional lever to work it.

I too used the Van's trim system very successfully. I pointed the lever forward rather than towards the rear as shown in the instructions because I stow a small halogen extinguisher between the seats against the flap housing. As to the appearance of the lever, it is virtually invisible down between the seats, especially with people sitting in the plane.

I too used the Van's trim system very successfully. I pointed the lever forward rather than towards the rear as shown in the instructions because I stow a small halogen extinguisher between the seats against the flap housing. As to the appearance of the lever, it is virtually invisible down between the seats, especially with people sitting in the plane.

Yes. The trim system works OK for me too, it was the handle that I didn't care for. I tried the knob from JD Air Parts, still not happy. I continue to look for alternatives.

Last edited:
I used this lever. Its an aluminum casting of unknown aircraft origin. I had to shim the diameter with a slice of tubing & secure it with a roll pin that must be removed to get the panel up...
I have another you can have if interested. PM me your address & I'll drop it in the mail.

Attachments

• 20210517_190210.jpg
    20210517_190210.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 140
I used this lever. Its an aluminum casting of unknown aircraft origin. I had to shim the diameter with a slice of tubing & secure it with a roll pin that must be removed to get the panel up...
I have another you can have if interested. PM me your address & I'll drop it in the mail.

I really appreciate the offer, thanks. I found this this morning from JSM Machining. Pretty reasonable for an aircraft part....$25 if you get the custom engraving. I'm going to give it a try. The machine shop owner started selling these after making one for his own RV-9. It apparently can also be used as a canopy latch handle.

Attachments

• aileron.JPG
    aileron.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Back