What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller options for Four Bangers

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Here is the dreaded "too many variables to give a real answer" type question.

For the F4/4 cylinder Rockets, what type of prop did you get? How did it affect your CG envelope?

I realize there's a ton of variables:
aft W&B capabilities/requirements
emp type
wing type
battery(ies) location
mission type
etc. etc.

The new Whirlwind 300 series props have great performance but probably aren't going to be a real option for a lot of tantum seaters due to their light weight.

What did you install? Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks

Rocket light with blended airfoil Hartzell

My Harmon with the 360 has the BA Hartzell, and an earth x battery on the firewall. I still need the trim full nose up to land solo. So I think the whirlwind prop would be ok..

I've been flying my F1 with a MTV-14-B-C/C190-59b
4-blade. Since it's been on since first flight (Feb 2016), I can't really do a comparison. But the 4-blade seems to perform well, though it's probably not as fast as a 2-blade Hartzell. Don't know much about the Whirlwind other than I think its TBO may be shorter.It does have great "sex appeal" though! It's very smooth, so that's a plus. I shortened the gear legs 2.5 inches, but never have to worry about a prop strike if the nose gets way over on a wheel landing.
I don't know about the W&B of the F4, but I think this would be a good prop for you.
:)

@swaneymj
&
GT-401

Do you remember the weights of your props? Which tail feathers do you have on your birds?

Thanks,
Scott F

@swaneymj
&
GT-401

Do you remember the weights of your props? Which tail feathers do you have on your birds?

Thanks,
Scott F

I've got the Team Rocket F1 empennage. Not sure I have the weight of the prop, since it's been about 10 years since I bought it. I'll look. Unfortunately my friend who operated an MT repair station is no longer around.

P.S. I was looking through some old emails and came across this from my friend who went west a few years ago.

"Tom Gummo has the 4 blade propeller designed for the HR3 with a 380 hp engine. Tom Gummo's HR2 doesn't have a 380 hp engine. Therefore, the speed loss.

The 4 blade propeller designed for the HR2 with 260 hp is set for cruise at 15k. It is about 2 knots slower than the 3 blade MT propeller at 4k. And slightly faster tah the 3 blade by around 9k.

If you are flying around 5k, then you'll want a 3 blade propeller. The standard 3 blade MT Propeller assembly weighs around 56 pounds, conpared to 66 pounds for a Hartzell 2 blade propeller assembly on the same scales.

The 3 blade MT propeller is about 2 knots faster than the "D" blade Hartzell, and the same speed as the "J" blade Hartzell, at Reno race altitudes.
With both the "D" blade Hartzell and the 3 blade MT Propeller strsight and level at full throttle, above 2600 RPM the aircraft losses about 3 mph.
The "J" blade Hartzell keeps pulling to 2800 RPM. However, Wolfgang Meng says with 330 hp, the "J" stops at 2600 RPM, also."

prop for 4-banger

Just to throw something else into this:
I just got a new Husky. It has the same Lycoming 360 albeit carbureted as is common on RV's. It has a Hartzell composite 80" "Trailblazer" prop; composite, big, and cool looking thing. And it performs really well. I flew with (against?) a friend in another Husky; his with the MT 3-blade; we both came to the same conclusion that the new Hartzell composite Trailblazer is more efficient; better climb and faster cruise. The RV's/Rockets fly in different speed ranges but this may be something worth considering or talking to Hartzell about. The challenge with a 4-Banger Rocket may also be ground clearance although the prop is available in a 76" version.

I don’t know what the BA Hartzell weight, but my HR-ll has an rv-8 tail. I sure wish a trailblazer would show up at my door. I would volunteer to test it out for the HR. I wonder how much they cost for an iOS-360?

Back