What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Austin Tx Aviation Attractions?

szicree

Well Known Member
I'm going to Austin for the weekend and was hoping somebody could point me toward any interesting aviation museums or similar out there.

Not much

Sorry to say there is not much in the way of aircraft museums. The only one, and a very small one at that, was (I say was because it has been may years since I went and now ??) at Lago Vista airport in a large hanger. Nice small airport, on top of a large hill/ridge above lake Travis.

There is however a very nice military museum at Camp Mabry (in the middle of Austin). They have alot of historical tanks, allied and german and other cool stuff.

If you like eating food while lake watching, be sure and have a tubular taco at the Hula Hut (on Lake Austin) or watch the sunset at the Oasis (Lake Travis).

Enjoy your trip.

Museum in Burnett & Fredericksburg

Nice little aviation musuem on the airport at Burnett and the Pacific War/Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg. Not really Austin, but if you are in your own plane it is easy enough to do.

Last edited:
Fredricksburg

Aggie98 said:
Nice little aviation musuem on the airport at Burnett and the Pacific War/Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg. Not really Austin, but if you are in your own plane it is easy enough to do.

Also at Fredricksburg, the Hangar Hotel and diner.

For a good time...

...take off at Bergstrom and fly 006 for about 80nm. Make sure to leave your radio and transponder OFF.

When you get there you'll see a swell airshow, complete with F-16s and everything. You might even get to see some live-fire demonstrations of sidewinders and other superior air power. Quite a show, but will only be going on until the 13th :p

Last edited:
mdredmond said:
...take off at Bergstrom and fly 006 for about 80nm. Make sure to leave your radio and transponder OFF.

When you get there, you'll see a swell airshow, complete with F-16s and everything. You might even get to see some live-fire demonstrations of sidewinders and other superior air power. Quite a show, but will only be going on until the 13th :p
ROFL!!!!!!

FUNNY!!

mredmond,
it took me a second ( :rolleyes: ) but that was Funny!! with all going on right now, doing that would get you some up close views of nice modern hardware.

Forgot who was asking but if you have time, travel to Fredericksburg (T82), and visit nimitz and pacific war musuems. Will take some time. Also, if you like F1 rockets, you are real close. They are in Taylor tx. just outside Austin. i would call first

once again LOL :p

good luck
Jeff H
N. Austin (40xs)

Back