What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick for checking fuel level on a -6

markscogg

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a good chart of fuel depth from filler neck = gallons?
My -6 came with a wooden dip stick, but it's not very accurate.
It shows (from bottom up):
1/2" = 5 gallons
1 1/2 = 7
2 3/8 = 9
2 7/8 = 11
3 3/8 = 13
3 7/8 = 15
4 3/8 = 17
5 1/4 = 19 (although top of filler neck is higher)
Mabye the end of the stick is too short now? It is sanded to a point to double as a gas cap opener.

Thanks,

Need same for -6A

markscogg said:
Does anyone have a good chart of fuel depth from filler neck = gallons?
My -6 came with a wooden dip stick, but it's not very accurate.
It shows (from bottom up):
1/2" = 5 gallons
1 1/2 = 7
2 3/8 = 9
2 7/8 = 11
3 3/8 = 13
3 7/8 = 15
4 3/8 = 17
5 1/4 = 19 (although top of filler neck is higher)
Mabye the end of the stick is too short now? It is sanded to a point to double as a gas cap opener.

Thanks,

5.25" sounds too short to me. I did one a while back for an -6A, which is not going to help you. I don't think it is accurate either; so I am interested in the same for the -6A model.

This is probably best done experimentally due to the compound shape of the tank and the angles involved.

Bill, I just made a -6A dipstick last week marked for 5 and 10 gallons. I'll try to get to the hanger and post tomorrow nite. Greg

Here's what I got when I dipped my -6A: 5 gal=3/4", 10 gal=2 1/2", 15 gal=4 1/8". This was measured with a wooden paint stir stick located at the rear of the filler opening and pointed straight up. I added gas from a dry tank so it's total fuel, not usuable fuel. Measurement is approximate, with an estimated error of about +/- 1/16". .....Greg

Last edited:
Back