What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steel or Stainless Steel Fittings?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
Aircraft Spruce offers both a (black) steel fitting, and stainless steel fitting. What is the difference in them and where would you use one over the other?

As a general rule, all fuel and oil lines FWF should have steel fittings and be firesleeved. One exception is the red cube which has an aluminum body, this should also be firesleeve protected. Most plumbing fittings are available in aluminum or steel, unfortunately the steel fittings are quite a bit more expensive than aluminum. Most fittings are not available in stainless.

Last edited:
If you look around and know the differences, stainless fittings are available. Yes, more expensive, but in some locations make sense---well to me anyway.
Stainless firewall bulkhead fittings. Definitely steel or stainless adapters on the engine-although there are millions of GA planes flying with AN grade aluminum adapters. Notice I said AN grade aluminum, not imported aluminum versions available at online stores. There is a difference. I'll say that YES there are thousands of experimentals flying with imported adapters, but most are in a low stress area. But they are generally of a softer grade to save costs. Thats great on a 'race car/street car' thats on the ground. And---the suppliers/manufacturers dont know or wont tell you the grade.
Make good choices

Tom

Assuming you're talking hose fittings - in my years, I've never really seen a badly corroded carbon steel hose fitting under the cowling. Stainless steels have a higher incidence of galling, and costs a fair amount more for no better heat resistance. Carbon steel is my first choice. Aluminum second, but obviously not preferred re. fire/heat resistance.

Last edited:
Assuming you're talking hose fittings - in my years, I've never really seen a badly corroded carbon steel hose fitting under the cowling.

I have. Looked like someone stuffed a hunk of steel wool into it. Pretty sure is was a case of fuel contamination, so perhaps not typical. Still, since then I've never used anything but anodized aluminum or stainless in a fuel system.

All good info. My post was an effort to understand the difference between the "stainless steel" and "steel" fittings offered by spruce and why I would choose one of those over the other. It sounds like some use the stainless steel (as opposed to just the "steel") fittings in their fuel system to reduce corrosion issues.

Last edited:
Well it looks like you haven't gotten any real answers to your original question.

I decided to use the stainless fittings. They are more expensive than plain steel AN fittings. My thinking was that the hoses have stainless fittings and the regular steel fittings may be more subject to corrosion. I'm not sure if these assumptions are true but like you I found no conclusive data to support the actual decision.

I purchased a stainless bulkhead fitting for the fuel line and ran stainless tubing back to the electric fuel pump. This tubing is much more difficult to deal with though if you decide to go down this path.

When I was flight testing my 7A, I experienced a lot of brake fluid seeping with the aluminum fittings in the master cylinders. Switching to the steel (the black fitting) solved the problem.

One more perspective

All my hoses from Tom have stainless fittings and integral firesleeve. As stated, anodized AN fitting are more corrosion resistant than black steel. why not cover any aluminum fittings with firesleeve ?

Looks like this could be a "primer" thread.

John Thorpe said this in the '60s. "Only build it as strong as necessary and as light as possible."

I am saying the cheapest thing about flying is the pilot or builder.

Putting those two ideas together, I will not compromise on safety even if it means spending more money. I want to build a SAFE airplane that is as light weight as possible at the lowest possible cost in the shortest time frame.

Best practice is to use steel fittings going into the engine. I use steel when it is the best practice to do so. Have one friend that broke an aluminum fitting trying to remove it from a Grove Aluminum gear leg. He recommends using steel in that application.

Hope adding my two cents to this thread will give others something to think about. The fastest, lowest cost way to build a safe airplane is to follow the designers plans and instructions.

Back