What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7A Wing Removal

Jpm757

Well Known Member
A friend needs to "container a -7A for overseas shipment, and inquired about removing the wings and leaving the main gear in place. No brainer on a -7, but can the wings be removed from a -7A and leave the main gear in place?
Thanks

Yes. I had the wings off on my 9A many times while it was on the gear. Im sure the 7A is the same. It is a PITA and I would not want to do it, but it can be done.

Installing a wood block in place of the wing spar stub, and reinstalling a couple of the spar bolts is a good idea, if the weight of the fuselage is intended to be held by the main gear.

Installing a wood block in place of the wing spar stub, and reinstalling a couple of the spar bolts is a good idea, if the weight of the fuselage is intended to be held by the main gear.

Using the wood spar will give you a good place to tie down the plane too. Make it at least a foot exposed and when it is bolted with the spar bolts, you should be fine. When I moved mine with the engine on, I built a support box under the main cabin with foam mattress topper to help support. That probably wasnt necessary but I can still use it to jack the plane up for the wheel pants install.

Back