What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hinged panel pics

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of pictures from anyone who has hinged their panels at the bottom edge allowing the panel to tip down? I'm looking for an easy-access alternative to the modular panel because I don't really care for the look of them. I've seen Dann Parks' but don't know if anyone else has tried it and I'm trying to figure out how easy it would be to do. Thanks for any help.

I don't have any references to hinged panels for you but the Laird Owens panel may be something to consider. It is fiberglass but has three metal insert panels; one for flight, radio and engine instruments. I'm using this panel and the plan is to mount it in a way such that the three inserts can be easily removed for access behind the panel. This flexibility in addition to it looking so cool makes it worth the extra effort to me.

-Rick

Richard Stevens' Panel
nice7si.jpg

Hi Steve,

I designed a simple but very effective swing-down panel for my RV6.
It has made maintenance and upgrades a piece of cake.

I will try and send pics direct to you, as I cannot seem get them posted here.

Martin in Oz

Someone elses thunder

I am not sure whose panel this is; I shamelessly stole it from these forums. I can't find the thread and saved them, so I'll post them here. Sorry if I'm stealing any one's thunder; nice job of a tip down panel; hope they help.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
I am not sure whose panel this is; I shamelessly stole it from these forums. I can't find the thread and saved them, so I'll post them here. Sorry if I'm stealing any one's thunder; nice job of a tip down panel; hope they help.

I can't tell from the pix if this panel is a "tip down" panel or one that simply unscrews with enough slack wire to tip it on it's side. My definition of a "tip down" panel is one that has a hinge or arm mechanism permanently attached to the panel. But that's just my definition.

gmcjetpilot said:

This is the Dann Parks panel I mentioned in the original post. He was kind enough to send the pics to me 6-8 months ago. It does in fact hinge (at the lower corners, I think), but I need to follow up with him and see what the actual hinge mechanism looks like. He does have a really nice looking setup.

Last edited:
Back