What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496/XM Weather Data MIA

I use the XM Aviator Weather Data on my 496 frequently. I was able to get the weather data on 12/31/08. Today (01/02/09), I was unable to down load the data from XM.

I called XM and they did whatever they do to 'turn on' my XM receiver 4 or 5 times. All to no avail!!

I called Garmin thinking that I had a hardware problem. Their response was that I was the 20th call that that tech had received alone today on that matter.

Garmin sayes that is in not a hardware problem, but rather some issue from the XM side that they and XM are working on.

May take a day or two to sort out!

Dale

Another data point....396 XM weather no worke..:mad:...same answers from XM and Garmin:rolleyes:.
Dave...Swift Driver

Another Point

No XMWX in Minnesota....... It just would have had bunch of negative numbers on it anyway.

I actually had to tune in an AWOS.... It had cold numbers, too.

What they told me was that the problem is only affecting units connected to the GXM30A XM antenna. They (XM) say it is a Garmin problem and they have no time frame for it to be back in service.

What they told me was that the problem is only affecting units connected to the GXM30A XM antenna. They (XM) say it is a Garmin problem and they have no time frame for it to be back in service.

My 496 has the GXM30A, & the 696 is a GXM40, which is working fine. I don't have service for the 496 anymore, to double check.

L.Adamson

My 496 worked fine just a few minutes ago. WX too crappy to fly, but I have it mounted on my dash so I can have WX while driving.

Howdy VAF folks - I've been pulling my hair out over this XM problem and ran across this thread. After flying about an hour I noticed I had no local wind data from XM on my 496/30A, then noticed I had no wx data at all - same problem as everyone else, but it gets worse: I've got the audio from my 496 mixed in with my nav audio (for terrain/obst/tis warnings). All was quiet until I was on final and when my 500ft warning went off the XM stereo came on loud (I normally have it muted). Scared the you-know-what out of me. I spent 15 minutes trying to mute the danged thing through the software but had no luck.

Apparently whatever happened to the wx has also caused the audio page to lose it's program information and options. I'll unplug the antenna for now, but what an annoyance.

Before finding this thread I tried the following with no success:
  • did a master reset on the 496
  • reloaded the latest firmware
  • loaded an older firmware version and let the xm antenna downgrade to older firmware
  • loaded the latest firmware again and let the antenna upgrade itself

As of 30 seconds ago the XM data is still dead as is the audio page, but I'm receiving the free "demo" audio channel

Loading data......

No XM on my 496 today in SoCal. Cannot all of a sudden be a antenna problem.

xm problem south florida

496 has been out for 3 days. i am showing an xm signal but no wx data or xm music coming in. the wx in florida has been good though. glad i found this post. i was about to make some calls.

Louise and I left Big Bear Lake (SOCAL) at sunrise this morning and flew all the way back to Houston, with the 396/30A combo on th left side of the airplane, and the 696/40A on the right. Both of them worked perfectly all day - we weren't aware of any problems at all. After we landed at home, one of my neighbors says he didn't get any XM data or voice today. I don't' know what I can add except the data point that both our systems worked normally all day.

Paul

I'm having the same problem: No XM on a 496. In fact, I know it's not an XM antenna problem, as in the failure of the antenna, because I have a spare sent to me when I had an early 496 problem; Garmin just sent a whole new package, leaving me with an extra GXM30A. It exhibits the same problems I have had for the last couple of days with the old antenna.

I first noticed this around Dec 30, when I was getting poor signal quality on the XM in the same location (hangar, door partly open) that it used to pull in three bars and download the WX in short order.

Clearly someone has a problem here, and I'm willing to bet it's XM, which has had, in my experience, absolutely the worst customer service around.

Aerophoto,

I have exactly the same problems with our 396 as you are experiencing. Rather than the terrain warning, the demo channel turns on! Also, the Mute XM radio option is no longer available. However, I did do an upgrade to the latest firmware, could it be that?

It is either XM or Garmin's firmware upgrade, but if the latest firmware upgrade used the work for others in 2008, you bet it will either be a Y2K type of bug in the garmin software or XM receiver, or it is a XM problem.

Alexander Plomp
RV-8

XM Weather failure

I flew from Waco, Texas to Minneapolis on 2 Jan and had no XM WX at any time on my 496. My 300mw APRS system worked great. //http://aprs.fi/?call=WY0S-1&mt=m&z=11&timerange=259200

However, I did do an upgrade to the latest firmware, could it be that?

The firmware update shouldn't have anything to do with it. The latest 496 update came out in June and my 496 has been perfect until a couple of days ago.

A little more data on the problem:
  • I pulled out 396/gxm30 (not an "a") out of our C-310 and it immediately showed the XM audio page as perfect, full signal strength. I had it on only long enough to see that screen
  • I put the 396's gxm30 antenna on my 496 - the 496 had the same problem it's been having (ie: the audio page didn't work and it showed "waiting for data" without changing).
  • I put my 496'a gxm-30a on the 396 and it showed the audio page perfectly for about 10 seconds (it also said "www.sirius.com" above the xm web address, which I hadn't seen before), then the program information disappeared piece by piece until it finally looked just as dead as the 496 has. Nothing changed after several minutes, and no wx data.
  • I put the gxm-30 back on the 396 and it also was "dead", no audio page, no wx
  • Just FYI, the gxm-30 is activated with the top-end wx service (whatever they call it), the gxm-30a is activated with the $29/month package
  • neither antenna has the music package added to it

I'm wondering if there is some sort of subscriber database problem at XM/Sirius? I flew again a little while ago with the GXM40/696 in the Val, and I got both weather and music.

I also powered up Mikey's 396/30A again, just to make sure it was still OK, and both Weather and Audio were fine as well - so it isn't affecting ALL 396/496's.

With all the problems people are having, I can't figure out why we're unique here. We have different subscriptions on our two units, so it's not like they are linked. Weird!

Paul

Last edited:
XM weather

Hi, I just registered to discuss this. I was stuck in Oregon with no weather as well, I have a GPSmap396, I have called xm support about 10 times now, no one seems to know what is going on, they say its a known problem with the ant that the 396/496 uses, but they have no fix. The last call they directed me to call an out of service phone # for Weather Works. I also called, and emailed Garmin, but they are all out for the weekend, no reply. This is very frustrating, and I just got the $149 bill for XM weather on my credit card bill!!!

Does anyone have any updates?

Thanks,

Leland

xm weather

Does your unit use the gxm30 ant? if not thats probably why its working for you, it seems to be an issue with the gxm30 and some format change they made for the sat download Jan 1 2009...

NO WEATHER

NO WEATHER ON MY 496 SAT.OR SUN.
CALLED XM ON SUN AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD REFRESH BUT IT WAS A GARMIN PROBLEM NO JOY ON REFRESH
WELL BEEN GOING TO SEND IT BACK FOR REPAIR ANYWAY BECAUSE THE BATT NO WORKING RIGHT SAYS ITS CHARGED FULLY UNPLUG 12V AND IT SAYS LOW BATT I THINK ITS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM ALSO
SHOULDHAVE KNOWN THEY COULD NOT PUT ALL THAT GREAT STUFF IN A LITTLE BOX LIKE THAT AND GET IT TO WORK VERY LONG

NO WEATHER ON MY 496 SAT.OR SUN.
CALLED XM ON SUN AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD REFRESH BUT IT WAS A GARMIN PROBLEM NO JOY ON REFRESH
WELL BEEN GOING TO SEND IT BACK FOR REPAIR ANYWAY BECAUSE THE BATT NO WORKING RIGHT SAYS ITS CHARGED FULLY UNPLUG 12V AND IT SAYS LOW BATT I THINK ITS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM ALSO
SHOULDHAVE KNOWN THEY COULD NOT PUT ALL THAT GREAT STUFF IN A LITTLE BOX LIKE THAT AND GET IT TO WORK VERY LONG

I'm willing to bet, it's a subscription update problem, as previously suggested. These units have been working for years, and don't all (or most all) suddenly fail.

L.Adamson -- 296/496/696

Mine fine

Flew yesterday and 496 worked fine, WX, winds, xm music, terrain warning etc. I have the aviator light subscription.
According to Garmin webupdate I have the latest software (3.60) but I have not updated any of the databases for a year.
Just another data point

This is very widespread apparently.

On another forum someone thinks they found a solution - have XM cancel/deactivate your subscription then reactivate it. If someone wants to try to play telephone-wait with XM go for it and let us know how it goes :) I might try it later, we'll see:

Apparently a problem with Garmin's software that triggered the current issue when XM changed the channel line-up. Seems like you can get it working by 1) trying a refresh first and, if that doesn't work 2) calling support and asking for a full deactivate-activate cycle.

This is very widespread apparently.

On another forum someone thinks they found a solution - have XM cancel/deactivate your subscription then reactivate it. If someone wants to try to play telephone-wait with XM go for it and let us know how it goes :) I might try it later, we'll see:

Apparently a problem with Garmin's software that triggered the current issue when XM changed the channel line-up. Seems like you can get it working by 1) trying a refresh first and, if that doesn't work 2) calling support and asking for a full deactivate-activate cycle.

I was able to get thru to XM weather today, was told by the tech that she did not know if the problem has been fixed yet but they were aware of it. I ask if it could be deactivated and reactivated without any charge and it can be, although she did not know if that was a fix. I had it deactivated and she said to leave it deactivated for at least 45 minutes and call back to reactivate it.
I do not plan on calling back today as the unit is in the airplane and I am not going to the airport today but will do so tomorrow and will post if it is working.

Bill

There's a problem with that scenario though, Bill. If it's a problem on the XM-side then the deactivate/active routine might clear up the problem, but I don't think deactivating/activating your account will do anything if the antenna/receiver is off the whole time. In other words, I think the antenna needs to be on and know it's "deactivated" for it to work.

I wouldn't rule out the deactivate/activate idea yet, I'm just not sure not having the antenna on during the process will prove or disprove it's effectiveness.

I spoke with Garmin at 1600est and they said they did not have a fix for the problem (whether that deactive/activate routine works is another matter, Garmin wouldn't comment on it). A few minutes later I got the attached email, it might be useful to write to garmin through their support website with the requested information.

Garmin is aware of the issue and has been in communication with XM WX Weather Works since last Friday. This is a top priority for Garmin and for XM. Garmin has been instructed by XM to gather Radio ID numbers along with customer information for the effected units... Thank you for your patience on this matter.

Your name that is on file with XM

Your Phone number that is on file with XM

The GPS model and antenna model
The radio id number

I'm trying to do the deactivate/re-activate thing right now. After a 40 minute wait on hold, the girl said that she would do the deactivate/reactivate. After she came back on the phone, she said that she had initiated it and that I would need my activation "instructions" that came with the unit. Given that I have had the unit for a few years now, I don't have the activation instructions. She said that they are not allowed to give them out.... Can anyone clue me in to the secret Garmin/XM weather activation handshake?

I had to make a trip over the weekend, and I felt naked flying without the weather. I wound up flying a more conservative path around some showers, just because I didn't know what might lurk on the other side...

There's no secret that I know of, I just got a 496 running a couple of months ago and there was absolutely nothing special about it. Just call the XM weather folks 1-800-985-9200 and they turn it on/off/change-plans, etc.

There's no secret that I know of, I just got a 496 running a couple of months ago and there was absolutely nothing special about it. Just call the XM weather folks 1-800-985-9200 and they turn it on/off/change-plans, etc.

I'm reading the manual now. Nothing expect leaving the unit on, until the "name of the selected service package is displayed". That's it.

L.Adamson

refresh the XM receiver

from Avweb:

January 5, 2009
XM Outage Darkens Garmin Weatherlink
By Paul Bertorelli, Editorial Director

Owners of Garmin weatherlink-capable portable navigators found themselves flying blind over the weekend because of an as-yet-to-be diagnosed technical fault that may be days away from a solution. Spokespersons for both Garmin and WxWorx, which massages the weather data for delivery through the XM Radio system, told AVweb on Monday morning that no one seems to know why the failure occurred or when it will be fixed. Evidently, the failure affects only some GPSmap396, 496 and 696 models, but not the panel-mounted G1000 system. Also, Garmin?s marine portables, which receive marine-related weather datalink, are similarly unaffected. One possible fix, says Garmin, is to refresh the XM receiver, which you can do by typing www.xmradio/refresh into a Web browser and then entering your receiver code. (It?s on the back of the puck-type Smart Antennas.) Make sure the antenna has a view of the sky for at least 30 minutes. Garmin says it doesn?t expect a solution before the middle of this week.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/XMOutageDarkensGarminWeatherlink_199514-1.html

missing weather temporary fix

this temp fix was sent to us in the MU2 community so I thought you might be interested. it is from a tech rep at XM.

At the moment, you will not be able to get weather without audio. This
does not make any sense and we are still trying to figure out the root
cause. In the meantime, if you want weather, call Customer Care and ask
for audio using promo code MARINE1MO. This will get you free audio for
a month, by which time we should have a better solution. Don't forget
to cancel the free audio before the month is up or you will get billed.

Derek

Well... I just went to add the audio for the month and found that my 496/30a is back to normal.

Maybe they fixed the problem!

XM Fixed

Looks like it is fixed. Mine was belly up for close to 5 days.

Freezing rain in Cleveland came through tonight very nice thank you...

I called XM yesterday and they said.."known issue with the 3xx and 4xx Garmin units"

Wonder what it was....

info from someone at XM

Subject: B: XM weather should be fixed

Bug found, bug band-aided on the XM end, Garmin software update to
follow.

This should've never happened. Bad programming, bad discipline, bad
lots of things.

I think all 396/496 units should return to normal without any refresh
needed. If this is not true for anyone, try an online refresh first
(refresh.xmradio.com) and then call if that doesn't work.

Thanks for your patience.

396 fixed in Minne

Kate and I went up tonight to check on the nocturnal ice fisher peopel on White Bear Lake. To my surprise, XM WX popped right up!

At least some units are fixed.

XM music

Based on the posts about the one month music demo sounds like those of us with the XM music subscription do not have the problem but those without the music did.

XM Weather

Ya it works for me again on my 396, based on other websites it sounds like the problem has been fixed. Whats so frustrating is no updates on the status on Garmin, wxworks, xm websites on this issue or the resolution, not one mention of it, crazy!

Oh Well, got to get my mooney out of the hanger now!

Xm weather 1-12-09

Consider this another data point on Xm weather displaying on Garmin 396. I was able to use the 396 with weather today 1-12-09. I had not used it in 2009 before today.

The problems should be nonexistent for folks like you Doyce, it's a non-issue now (I hope).

FYI - there is a firmware update that addresses the xm issue (it doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary as best I can tell).

XMWX issues 4/18

Did anyone have issues with XMWX on 4/18? I was able to only get a few updates on my XC yesterday. I was able to get metars only twice during the day and radar was usually over an hour old.

Very frustrating.

Pete,

I was in the air about an hour after your return flight and had good reception of METARS. Didn't look at any radar.

Ken

thanks Ken

I seem to have acquired an issue where I have trouble on the second flight of the day. I plan to call XM today.

failed antenna for me.

pete, i had a xm antenna go on me. check on the xm page to see if you have a xm antenna connection. mine was intermittent during the failure. my page said no xm antenna. the more info you have when you call the better. i called garmin with my problem.

Back