What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Splicing shielded wires

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
This was a bad day at the workshop, I inadvertently cut a wire while trimming tie-wraps. To make the matter worse, this is a shielded wire, making the repair by soldering more tricky. Does anybody can provide me guidelines and/or tips on how to proceed?
Thanks

Replace it

It depends on what purpose the wire has. If it is a twisted pair or other data transmission wire (cat-5) I would replace the wire. If it is for some sort of antenna replace it. Just my opinion, I'm sure someone with more more expertise will post their opinion.

Splice wires

WingedFrog.... send me a PM I should be able to help you. The company I work for mfg's these kind of parts depending how bad a splice might work, but as recommended the end to end wire replacement would be best..

Mark C. TE Connectivity..

Thanks guys, I found that luckily this wire was unused. I nevertheless repaired it as best as I could as a kind of training. Replacement of the cable was excluded because one end was going into a connector I definitively did not want to get into. I soldered the conductor, covered the repair with heat shrink sleeve and mended the shielding with a piece I took from a TV cable. I covered the mended shield with a heat shrink sleeve again.

Last edited:
Back