What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

advanced 5600?

guido99

I currently have a Dynon d180 in my 9A.
I want to upgrade and am considering the Advanced 5600.
I want an IFR panel, so I will be installing a 625 to meet the TSO requirement.
But do I keep the d180 and use it for backup EFIS and primarily for EMS or should I bite the bullet and change it out? Apparently the Dynon EGT and CHT sensors are not compatible with AFS so it is a major change out.
Do I really need dual AFS panels for IFR??
Anyone have experience they can share?
What do you think are the advantages of the AFS over the Dynon if any.
(I've got my fire suit on, as I am sure I will get some heat for that question)

Another avenue would be to use a GRT Mini or MiniX as your backup. Inexpensive, complete ADHRS, pitot, static with very simple installation, it's own GPS and it's totally separate hardware and software for your IFR backup attitude. It's less that 3 inches deep and has a great display. you can even wire the 625 into it for backup NAV capabilities.

I currently have a Dynon d180 in my 9A.
I want to upgrade and am considering the Advanced 5600.
I want an IFR panel, so I will be installing a 625 to meet the TSO requirement.
But do I keep the d180 and use it for backup EFIS and primarily for EMS or should I bite the bullet and change it out? Apparently the Dynon EGT and CHT sensors are not compatible with AFS so it is a major change out.
Do I really need dual AFS panels for IFR??
Anyone have experience they can share?
What do you think are the advantages of the AFS over the Dynon if any.
(I've got my fire suit on, as I am sure I will get some heat for that question)

Personally, I would give Rob a call and ask his opinion. Remember that AFS and Dynon are the same company now. I'm a little biased, but I prefer the features of the AFS EFIS over Skyview.

If you switch to AFS, I would switch to their sensors. It would provide better integration.

I would also look at Avidyne over the Garmin GPS if you haven't purchased them yet. I found that the UI was a little friendlier.

You don't need dual AFS screens, but it sure is nicer to pull up the plates on a second screen. You can always keep the Dynon as third screen for backup.

A single AFS may not have enough serial ports for a fully decked out IFR platform. For my basic VFR panel, it is only just enough ports. Just something to look into.

Back