What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel modification

guido99

What is the best and easiest way to modify openings in existing panel?
Any tricks of the trade?
Looking to change out my d180 for a 10" sky view.

Have a new panel laser- or water-jet-cut and start over.

(You said best and easiest... Not necessarily cheapest... :p)

You'll probably need to modify the structure behind it to accomodate the 10" screen anyway, so you'll want the old panel out so you can work there. Once you've gone that far, you might as well just get a new panel cut cleanly to fit the new layout.

Panel Modifications

On my RV6 I went from "basic six" instruments to 10" Skyview by working carefully with Saber saw, tin snips, Dremel and files.

I do not remember any special structural issues. Mine was a complete changeover of avionics and instruments but I retained basic electrical system switches, etc. So I made up an overlay of the original panel. A prime objective was making everything accessible so big sections are easily removable for maintenance and future changes.

The Skyview itself does not require any depth. The main issues came up with finding accessible places for the extra boxes like EMS, Back-up Battery, network hub, and in my case, the Dynon Com and Airinc boxes.

(post #16 on the following page)
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23846&page=2

Best little tool I found when we modified our panel. Build an overlay and then just cut away the extra.

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-gauge-air-nibbler-96661.html

panel1.JPG

panel2.JPG

panel3.JPG

FINISHED

panel4.JPG

Last edited:
first im not knocking anyone's decisions on how they upgraded, but my thought is if i'm going to spend 10 grand or more on a new EFIS system, i want it to look like it was meant to be there. not added after the fact. Spend the extra time and redo the panel so it looks like it was built that way. I have hated the look of overlays forever.
when I re-paneled my RV-4 it was a total redo.

just my .02

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Last edited:
first im not knocking anyone's decisions on how they upgraded, but my thought is if i'm going to spend 10 grand or more on a new EFIS system, i want it to look like it was meant to be their. not added after the fact. Spend the extra time and redo the panel so it looks like it was built that way. I have hated the look of overlays forever.
when I re-paneled my RV-4 it was a total redo.

just my .02

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I feel the same way. I just got a panel from the laser shop today and it was a matter of about an hour and a half to install nutplates and powder coat. Now it's installed and everything fits perfectly. That's hard to beat.

Back