What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need RV-12 CFI checkout Central FL

Stansuski

Hello, I have an almost ready RV-12, insurance company requires a CFI checkout and log book sign off , are there any CFI’s with a 12 in Central Florida who can do this?. Van’s has nothing listed in Florida.
Thanks, Stan

Hello, I have an almost ready RV-12, insurance company requires a CFI checkout and log book sign off , are there any CFI’s with a 12 in Central Florida who can do this?. Van’s has nothing listed in Florida.
Thanks, Stan

Well, I just finished getting a checkout in mine, but he lives in Oklahoma and is willing to travel and has a very flexible schedule. I'm sure you would have to pay his expenses and for his training, but if you can't find a local one it might make sense for you. Just shoot me a message if you want his contact info..

RV 12 check out

I flew up to Maryland for my checkout. They did a great job. For the expense of bringing a fellow in from Oklahoma you could go to Maryland and get training.

I flew up to Maryland for my checkout. They did a great job. For the expense of bringing a fellow in from Oklahoma you could go to Maryland and get training.

Lots of options.. and figure 2+ days of personal time by flying to Maryland, hotel room, airfare, food, airplane rental (5 hrs @ $200 per hour w/instructor?). It all adds up either way. And he doesn't get a check out in his own plane..

I added up all the costs and it made sense for me to fly him to N. Carolina, rather than me spending days of my time going to Arizona for training in a flight school plane.. Also, for me I had AA air miles, so airfare didn't cost me much..

Besides, who wants to go to Maryland in February? Lol!

Last edited:
I used Chesapeake Sport Pilot at W29 across the Bay from Annapolis to get my insurance required 5 hour checkout. Great experience with an excellent CFI that knew the -12 well. Also got a bi-annual flight review signoff at the same time. Did it all in one nice sunny weekend.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I was told there is a flight school in Ft Myers that has a 12, might want to call around and ask. I recently did a flight with a CFI in SRQ who owns a 12. PM me if you would like to ask.

Thanks, Stan

Need RV-12 CFI checkout

I'm in Birmingham, AL. I have an RV-12 and have flown it about 340 hours in the last 3 years. I am also a CFI. My airplane is an E-LSA so I can't to for hire stuff in it. But if yours is done and you want to do the checkout in your airplane, I can fly to Florida and work with you in your airplane.

I thought there was some chatter about FAA allowing some flexibility for two occupants during the Phase 1 flying if it enhanced safety. Probably should ask Mel, the DAR, to comment on that.

I thought there was some chatter about FAA allowing some flexibility for two occupants during the Phase 1 flying if it enhanced safety. Probably should ask Mel, the DAR, to comment on that.

The ‘second pilot rule’ is not intended for transition training.

I know, but there is nothing wrong with killing two birds with one stone. The owner is PIC while the CFI Iis the second pilot and signs off the dual time.

Back