What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G-5/ops limits

I just tore out all the vacuum stuff and put in a G-5 with a magnetometer. Question 1: Can I legally fly IFR with a single G-5 (I'm not asking if it's safe. Just legal.) Question 2: Do I need to modify the ops limits and re-submit to FSDO?
My research has produced only confusion.

Legal IFR requires a certified receiver for the type of signal required for navigation and approach - either VOR/ILS or GPS. The G5 does not do that, it's only for display. Do you have a certified receiver connected to the G5 through a GAD-29 Arinc box?

I just tore out all the vacuum stuff and put in a G-5 with a magnetometer. Question 1: Can I legally fly IFR with a single G-5 (I'm not asking if it's safe. Just legal.) Question 2: Do I need to modify the ops limits and re-submit to FSDO?
My research has produced only confusion.

Read your Operating Limitations.

OpLims may say VFR only or "After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with ? 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only."

Depending on when the OpLims were issued, it may say something very similar if not exactly.

The question is, does your aircraft have what is required in 91.205? Yes the G5 can have more than one of the items required by 91.205.

The aircraft has a Garmin GNS-430, CDI, pitot heat and the others listed. The question in my mind is must the following two requirements listed in 91.205 be separate instruments, or can they be both be incorporated in the same unit, in this case the G-5? My FSDO did not venture an answer the question.
From 91.205:
(8) Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon).
(9) Gyroscopic direction indicator (directional gyro or equivalent).

Many other experimental EFIS manufacturers have both those functions in one device and are approved for IFR flight.

If a separate instrument were required to meet each item of 91.205, 90% of the jets in the US would not be legal.

No

Legal IFR requires a certified receiver for the type of signal required for navigation and approach - either VOR/ILS or GPS. ?

The FAA has required gps used under ifr to be ?approved?; to date, they have only approved TSO gps boxes, but the regs clearly state that a TSO is one way, but not the only way, to be approved. However, there is no requirement for anything else (VOR, ILS, flight instruments) to be approved, certified, or carry a TSO (choose your favorite terminology).
The FAA clarified some time ago that a ?gyroscopic pitch and bank? did not actually have to be a gyro - it just has to display tbe same info as one. And there is no prohibition on combining multiple instruments in one box. So: Your G5, plus ?navigation suitable for the flight (TSO?d if gps)? is all you need legally, assuming your op limits have the phrase quoted on post 3 referencing 91.205. Now, as you pointed out, it may not be wise to be in a situation where failure of one box is likely to be fatal. Here?s where the debate really starts!

Those jet EFIS's you refer to have HSI displays as well as attitude. I sat behind them many years and hours, but I think your point is a good one. I plan to add a second G-5 later but for now I think I will do some IFR work with just the one. Appreciate ya'll's input. (I'm from the Deep South.)

Absent a dedicated GMU11 magnetometer, as I understand it the G5 does not indicate a gyroscopic (or gyroscopic equivalent) direction. It displays GPS ground track, which is not equivalent.

Garmin G5 AFM Suppliment 190-01112-13

Alan,

The answers to your questions can be found in the Garmin G5 AFM Suppliment 190-01112-13 and the G5 installation manual. Both of these doucments list the apprved configurations for VFR or IFR use of the G5. Also, you do not need to ammend your operatining limitations for your RV-6, the Garmin supplimental AFM for the G5 takes care of that. You should also have a AFM suppliment for your Garmin 430. Remember, as non WAAS GPS navigator, you cannot use the 430 as the sole means of navigation without an additional nav aid as a back up.

I am sure someone will say that the AFM suppliments do not apply to an EAB since you didnt use the Garmin STC for the install, but the AFM suppliment is the best info you are going to get as far an approved configuration to meet FAA reg for IFR ops.

Alan,
Remember, as non WAAS GPS navigator, you cannot use the 430 as the sole means of navigation without an additional nav aid as a back up.

Since the 430 has a VOR/ILS within it, he should normally be okay. But good point: remember that if an alternate is required either the destination or the alternate should be doable without the gps.

That actually doesn't tell me much. It describes installation limitations, which mine complies with, but as to operational limitations, it says:

"Refer to the Airplane Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS) for operational limitations."

The question now is what is that AFMS? Is it a Garmin publication, or is it referring to my POH?

"Refer to the Airplane Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS) for operational limitations."

The question now is what is that AFMS? Is it a Garmin publication, or is it referring to my POH?

The AFM is the newer name for a POH. The AFMS is additional information (published by Garmin) that is now part of the AFM. Since EAB aircraft do not have an official AFM, none of this applies.
For example, the AFMS for a 172 will state that the G5 replaces only the original AI; all other indications (altitude, heading) are not to be used for primary flight control, you should use the original equipment (altimeter, DG). There is a required placard to that effect. None of this applies to EAB.

Back