What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180 - Keep or Scrap

guido99

Currently have a D180 with AP74. Looking to upgrade to a skyview.
On the fence about keeping D180 as backup EFIS and primary EMS.
Or upgrading to a dual skyview system and using a Mini X as backup.
What will I gain with the dual skyview system?
Looks like the dual system would cost about $5to6K additional.
Not sure what that money is really buying me??
Any input appreciated.

Not sure how to advise...

But if you decide to scrap it, I'd like to be first in line!! I'll pay the shipping...
Lol. :D

The dual Skyview would be awesome. As long as you have the 180, make it the EMS. It's now free to you!

Bob

I just went through a similiar scenario with my Dynon 10A.
Since it cost me nothing, I opted to use it as my backup to my new GRT EFIS.

Upgraded from D180 to Skyview

I updated my panel a year ago from a Dynon D180 to a single 10" Skyview. I really liked the D180 but i really really like the Skyview. No regrets. Sell the D180 to someone who really needs it and enjoy the Skyview.

My understanding is the AP74 will not work in the skyview network and the D-180 will not "speak" to the skyview either. I don't know anything about he EMS side of skyview so I can't speak to whether that would be / could be redundant. Seems it could be as easy as a second set of sensors, or splitting sensors.

If it were me, I'd go dual Skyview and sell the D-180 and AP74 to subsidize your second SV screen. I might even by your D-180, since I'm a single D-100 and thinking about switching out all my E.I. engine instruments.

Maybe I'm not as impartial as I could be :)

I replaced my D100 EFIS and D10 EMS a few years back with one 10" SkyView and have never looked back. For backup, I have one of Dynon's D1 PocketPanels. The D1 only needs a power connection and comes with both an internal and small external GPS antenna (mounted on my glair shield). That is all the backup I need. (I also kept my Garmin 496 for navigational backup.)

The SkyView is just amazing!

I replaced my D100 EFIS and D10 EMS a few years back with one 10" SkyView and have never looked back. For backup, I have one of Dynon's D1 PocketPanels. The D1 only needs a power connection and comes with both an internal and small external GPS antenna (mounted on my glair shield). That is all the backup I need. (I also kept my Garmin 496 for navigational backup.)

The SkyView is just amazing!

I have the D2 (because I need the G-meter) as my flight instrument backup. Vic Syracuse suggested that to me. Brilliant idea as you can move it from plane to plane. If I have a total panel failure, I have the D2 to get me down.

I'll be doing a panel upgrade in 3-4 years and the D2 makes me think hard on whether or not I need main panel redundancy.

I have the D2 (because I need the G-meter) as my flight instrument backup. Vic Syracuse suggested that to me. Brilliant idea as you can move it from plane to plane. If I have a total panel failure, I have the D2 to get me down.

I'll be doing a panel upgrade in 3-4 years and the D2 makes me think hard on whether or not I need main panel redundancy.

FYI - On the SkyView, the DG switches over to a G meter when a preset threshold is reached. (+2.5/-1.0 in my case.) Or you can leave it displayed, if you are going to play.

Whats to bad about the D180?
Send it over my way ill take it :D

I don't know to much about it but it looks like a fairly capable unit.

FYI - On the SkyView, the DG switches over to a G meter when a preset threshold is reached. (+2.5/-1.0 in my case.) Or you can leave it displayed, if you are going to play.

Most modern EFIS today have a G meter. But my Older Trutrak does not plus I want a panel backup: even were I to get a Skyview, I'd want a simple backup.

Last edited:
Most modern EFIS today have a G meter. But my Older Trutark does not plus I want a panel backup: even were I to get a Skyview, I'd want a simple backup.

True, even the D10A has a G meter display. What I like about the SkyView is that it automatically displays the G meter and enunciates "Gees. Gees" when you hit the threshold. I'm sure other EFIS'S do this as well and it is a nice feature.

Back