What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

November EAA Experimenter - RVs in Reno Air Race 2012

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
There is a really good article in the November issue of EAA Experimenter about the Reno Air Race of 2012 that goes beyond normal "reporting". They don't show Tim Cone's or Steven Senegal's RV-8s but they do have photos of David Casey's RV-3 and Bob Mill's RV Super Six. While I was reading along and looking at the photos I saw Bob Mill's airplane Race #43 and I had to stop and make a post on the SARL Group site:

http://experimenter.epubxp.com/i/90184/20

I am NOT a member of EAA anymore since the AVC situation
this year but they are putting out a new product with an old name on the
internet and they keep sending it to me (its hard to clean up those address
files mid-stream). Anyway, the issue I just received has an article about Reno
where a lot of us were this year. I found it to be a pretty good article AND
THEN I HAD TO STOP READING! I saw a bright red airplane with #43 on the
fuselage and I had to be the first to post the news here! You see I was on the
pit crew and you can darn well believe I am proud of it! OK now I will go back
to reading.​

After I finished I posted a follow up:

As I flew back across the mountains and flat lands of Nevada, Utah, Wyoming,
Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas with no new SARL points and numb minded
the Reno experience of 2012 was a sweet memory. It has grown more since then -
GREAT EXPERIENCE!​

This new EAA online publication so far has been a pleasant departure from the usual shallow paste up space filler, for me anyway and I wish them well.

More importantly, if someone asks you if you would like to be on their pit crew at Reno say YES!

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
An Article in Sport Aviation as Well

Gary Sobek told me via E-mail about an article in Sport Aviation as well. It is written by a lady named Lane Wallace and it is the best thing I have ever seen written by her. She faithfully captured the event Phoenix like spirit I think and it was a true to the fans, the organizers and the first responders. I sat in on the in-brief for all race teams and my impression was well ... you know you often here this couldn't have happened without so-and-so ... in this case I think it took all of these people working as hard as they could with no real hope of success to pull it off. The NTSB brief on the Galloping Ghost crash was also very sincere and informative. My impression was that everyone, including the FAA and NTSB, was working together with no slack in attention and no isolationist attitudes to make this event a success for 2012. My sense was, it was such an overwhelming task that there was nothing left to consciously apply to the future. Their success itself is the best assurance of the future. Lane Wallace's article will be a part of it. Well done.

Bob Axsom

So, Bob, you going to renew your EAA membership? One of the items you had issue with was the magazines. Sounds like you are reading them more after you no longer get them.
Love the RVs at Reno.

Last edited:
Have to wait and see I guess

With all of the recent changes I'll just have to see how things go from here in the EAA, I hope they go in a good direction but we will just have to wait and see. In the mean time you said you liked the RVs at Reno. I have some photos of all four of them that I took there this year:

Race # 18 Tim Cone, RV-8:

IMG_6367_zpse17722e8.jpg

IMG_6414_zpsd2269057.jpg

Race #89 David Casey RV-3:

IMG_6325_zpsf3a94896.jpg

IMG_6342_zpsde85ccb9.jpg

IMG_6357_zpsf2946fca.jpg

Race #43 Bob Mills RV Super Six:

IMG_6417_zps8ed8b49f.jpg

IMG_6343_zpsd3ed8df4.jpg

IMG_6420_zpsb241a0ea.jpg

Race #54 Steven Senegal RV-Super 8:

IMG_6413_zps53279fd9.jpg

IMG_6423_zpsaf025757.jpg

Last edited:
Crew Identification

The other two crew members on Race #43, Brian Adams & Crew Chief Tommy Ishii. They are planning to bring their Harmon Rocket II and RV-6 respectively, to the Pylon racing School (PRS) next year.

IMG_6408_zps425fb555.jpg

Headband that no one wore on their head:
IMG_6337_zps9f242cad.jpg

Wrist band with certification sticker:
IMG_6335_zps73fbf703.jpg

Wore the wrist band all week and was reluctant to cut it off days after returning home.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Gary Sobek told me via E-mail about an article in Sport Aviation as well. It is written by a lady named Lane Wallace and it is the best thing I have ever seen written by her.

Bob Axsom

Lane Wallace's column was my favorite part of reading Flying each month. Sadly, she left the magazine last year, I believe. She truly was blessed with being able to capture the basic joys of GA in words. Glad she's still sharing her talents.

No help from me I'm afraid

Is there a way to download this to an iPad for later reading?

Thanks,

Scott

If you are talking about the two articles, the EAA may be able to help. Sorry, I'm retired, have airplane, compete in races, can't afford i-stuff so no help here. Maybe some one with the proper knowledge will jump in and save the day.

Bob Axsom

Thanks,

Scott
If "this" refers to the EAA Sport Aviation magazine then the answer is yes. They publish a PDF version of the magazine each month.

To get the PDF version of the magazine on your IPad do this:
  • Download the PDF version of the magazine to whatever computer you have ITunes loaded on
  • Once it is loaded to that computer open ITunes
  • Navigate to wherever you downloaded the PDF file and leave that window open
  • Navigate to IBooks in ITunes and leave that window open
  • Click and drag the PDF file from the location you downloaded the file to IBook in ITunes
  • Sync your IPad to ITunes
  • You will now have the magazine on your IPad.

More importantly, if someone asks you if you would like to be on their pit crew at Reno say YES!

Bob Axsom

Unfortunately I passed on my opportunity a few years ago on this. I was finishing my RV6A so did not want to spend the time away from building. The guy that owns the hanger across from me raced in Formula 1 and Biplane for 4-5 years. I could have gone and helped in pit but did not.
Ironically he has sold his race planes and now wants something to cross country in. He was going for a GlassAir but now has put an offer on a RV-6A. [I hope I do not end up getting asked to do his conditional inspection]. I asked him if he was going to try and race it at Reno. Answer: Wife said NO.

I fully Understand

Unfortunately I passed on my opportunity a few years ago on this. I was finishing my RV6A so did not want to spend the time away from building. The guy that owns the hanger across from me raced in Formula 1 and Biplane for 4-5 years. I could have gone and helped in pit but did not.
Ironically he has sold his race planes and now wants something to cross country in. He was going for a GlassAir but now has put an offer on a RV-6A. [I hope I do not end up getting asked to do his conditional inspection]. I asked him if he was going to try and race it at Reno. Answer: Wife said NO.

I live in Arkansas and will be flying in 18 races this year the last one in Taylor Texas in a couple of days. I had races packed from April to November 10 and I was trying to get points for the SARL Championship while working on a cooling air outlet mod that for many months only caused me to go slower. Two opportunities came up that would place extra demands on my time (1) working in the pits for Bob Mills and (2) going to the Lycoming school which would have been easy in an isolated situation. I hesitated but I took advantage of both and the stress and strain were extreme to an extent that I will not go into but I didn't know if I would be able to make the flight to Taylor this Saturday for the last race of the season. Yesterday things started to turn around and I'm going to make it.

It is wiser to set priorities like you did and focus on what you can do comfortably than to take the position that this opportunity may never come again and I have to make it all work in spite of the difficulty. As I get farther away from this exhausted state I may think of this as my finest hour but I wasn't thinking that way when I couldn't hardly get out of the plane after returning home from the race last Saturday in Grove, Oklahoma. Now I am recharged and ready to go but it seemed like it could have gone either way until yesterday.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:

Thanks,

Scott

Yes.

Experimenter is published in PDF format. I use DropBox on my iPad, iPhone, MBP, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, hangar PC, and home PC. I save the file to DropBox on one of the computers. I then use the FREE DropBox app on the iPad. Open the file in DropBox. On the upper right hand side, there is a down arrow into a tray. Click that. You have two options, 'Print' and 'Open In...'. Chose "Open In..." and select iBooks. It will then open and be saved in iBooks. Back at the PC, you can then delete or move the file to where ever you want to archive it.

I do this for "AOPA Pilot" in PDF and "Sport Aviation" in PDF.

DropBox is a way to get copies of files in sync on ALL of your devices. DropBox beat iClould to the market and unfortunately iCloud only works with Apple products and files. Box.net, Google Docs, and SkyDrive will do the same thing but IMHO, the DropBox app has the best user interface. I quite using iTunes to move files once I found out about DropBox.

Hope this is helpful.

Another option is to attach the PDF to an email on your computer, and email it to yourself. On the iPad, open the email and tap the icon of the PDF attachment. Once it opens, tap the Share button at the top right and you'll get a menu offering to open it in iBooks, or Goodreader, or any other PDF reader application you have on the iPad. More info here.

Dropbox

To get the PDF version of the magazine on your IPad do this:
  • Download the PDF version of the magazine to whatever computer you have ITunes loaded on
  • Once it is loaded to that computer open ITunes
  • Navigate to wherever you downloaded the PDF file and leave that window open
  • Navigate to IBooks in ITunes and leave that window open
  • Click and drag the PDF file from the location you downloaded the file to IBook in ITunes
  • Sync your IPad to ITunes
  • You will now have the magazine on your IPad.

Another way that works well for me (without having to plug-in) is to sign up for a free account with Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/
-Install it on your computer and then download the free app on your iPad.
-It will make a simple folder in your computer's documents folder and everything you save there can be opened in the iPad dropbox app.
-on the ipad, Click the star to mark a document as favorite and it will be saved to your ipad for access when you dont have internet access

I use dropbox to store pdf versions of Kitplanes for access on ipad as well as several of the FAA publications like Instrument Flying Handbook.

oops

Yes.

Experimenter is published in PDF format. I use DropBox on my iPad, iPhone, MBP, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, hangar PC, and home PC. I save the file to DropBox on one of the computers. I then use the FREE DropBox app on the iPad. Open the file in DropBox. On the upper right hand side, there is a down arrow into a tray. Click that. You have two options, 'Print' and 'Open In...'. Chose "Open In..." and select iBooks. It will then open and be saved in iBooks. Back at the PC, you can then delete or move the file to where ever you want to archive it.

should have read the whole thread before replying...well I guess great minds think alike...:rolleyes:

Back