What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Love's Landing RV Fly-in 2012 Report

GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
Saturday, Nov 3, 2012 @ Love's Landing - Part 1

Love's Landing RV Fly-in 2012 - EAA Chapter 1236
The day dawned with spectacular weather. CAVU (well, a little ground fog on the way…)

My co-pilot Steve and I landed early and we were able to secure a coveted spot.

Yes, that's a very early VAF shirt I have on. I can't believe how many people asked where they could get one.

2r5pxeq.jpg

mrzhty.jpg

The arrivals started streaming in ….. Total: 125+ airplanes …. 35+ RV's
I actually thought that the RV count would be higher but then I remembered that Petit Jean and RV Nation Fly-in was also this weekend.

2r53vk3.jpg

k3kqrr.jpg

Lots of RV's. Then were the "Others" :D

106iuc3.jpg

Of course, the Usual Suspects were in attendance. A lot more of them than I was able to capture …..

30iji4x.jpg

Chapter 1236 did a terrific job organizing the event.

307q8ea.jpg

Lots of cool vehicles around. I'm sorry I didn't get some pics of the other 1/3 scale models that were being showcased.

21kk008.jpg

293kbuu.jpg

Last edited:
Love's Landing 2012 - Part 2

Part 2

And then there was LUNCH….. All I can say is WOW. These people did a fabulous job. I wish I wasn't on a diet because that's as close as I could get to the desert table (1 of 3 desert tables :))

Ollie's famous BBQ pork, hamburgers, hots dogs, salads and all the fixings. (Sorry no photo, I was busy :))

THANK YOU Ollie and Lori Washburn and all of the others who helped out.

5pfuc.jpg

2visget.jpg

Turbo Eddie and Fred Stucklen sucking up to the seller of 50/50 tickets. Didn't help… neither of them won (TWO tickets won $180 each … I'm gonna buy more next year :))

2hy7vjt.jpg

A few more photos....

294ny3d.jpg

rbiemu.jpg

Hey Lakeland, see you in a few months for Sun n Fun 2013

22ixzc.jpg

Back home …. Love's landing and beauty like Venice is why I live in SW Florida.

28vf441.jpg

Great Weather. Great Flight. Great Friends. Great RV-6. I'm a lucky guy.

Last edited:
I want to retire

I've seen the last picture on some calendars. Great report Gary! Any grouper wraps on lunch menu?:D

Here on cold North East nothing to brag. Cousin found a paying passenger and we got free breakfast. Had to check several airports in search of food.

Great Photos

Nice job Gary. We had terrific weather, great comaraderie, great food and your photos tell the story.

See you around the state.

I've seen the last picture on some calendars. Great report Gary! Any grouper wraps on lunch menu?:D

Here on cold North East nothing to brag. Cousin found a paying passenger and we got free breakfast. Had to check several airports in search of food.

Vlad, no grouper wraps but you would have been happy with the desert tables. No carrot cake though ;) Stay warm and come visit soon.

Carl, I put your picture in the report because you gave me a 10 on the landing. :D:D See you in a few weeks at another event (a/c down for condition inspection). It's a great time of year here in Florida.

Roger, I won't make Sebring RV Breakfast until early December. (Fishing trip Nov 21-29) See you then.

Had a great time there as well.

I got to meet so many VAF pilots.
I finally got to meet Turbo & Fred. Funny that Fred is based at my airport for the winter. I ended up flying trail back to our airport.

Organizers said they had about 130 planes fly in. I bet more than half of those were RVs.

Great event, & a great day to fly in Florida.

Last edited:
Gary, thank you for the great report on the best fly-in we've had so far. We fed 325+ hungry souls and was the first time we ever scraped the bottom of the food pans.
Sorry for the last few that we just let go through the line and scrape what food they could.
We did have plenty of great desserts provided by the Ladies of Loves Landing. Thanks to all for terrific and safe day.

Ollie

Photos?

Is it just me, or are the photos invisible? Are there photos? :cool:

Nevermind...I looked at the website from my iPad and saw the photos. Maybe I'm not part of the cool-kids' crowd...I need to look into some of the Florida RV'ers to get into some of the shots. I think my little time-machine is quite photogenic. :)

Last edited:
Yes, that's a very early VAF shirt I have on. I can't believe how many people asked where they could get one.

Hey Doug, maybe it?s time to re-issue a classic. You would sell a million of them and with all the proceeds going to charity? I know I?d buy one, or three. :D

Yep

...for a great write-up, with photos!

Sandy passed up that trip?

Yep, she went to Sarasota for the sidewalk chalk festival with a bunch of girlfriends. Go Figure.

Now get out to the shop and finish your -6 so we can fly somewhere.... :D

Back