What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A C-GERZ: Gerry Julian

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
C-GERZ was born N242UL in 2003, built by Ulrich Luhnau in Houston. It went through two more owners; one in Las Cruces, New Mexico, and the gentleman I bought the plane from just outside of Kansas City. I bought the aircraft last summer, went through the delightful process for importing a homebuilt into Canada (not that bad, actually), and flew for the first time Oct. 1, 2011. Beautifully built aircraft with about 340 hrs tt, a factory O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop, nice VFR panel with steam flight gauges, a Becker com, TT autopilot, KMD 150, and EI engine gauges. I have EI dual fuel gauge and an EI fuel flow gauge ready to go in, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Has a Ray Allen/MAC G207 grip on the pilots side, with electric elevator and aileron trim, and the simpler grip with just PTT on the copilot side. Seat cushions are Classic Aero. Since the panel pic was taken I have also added a g-meter on the center post. I've also installed the Nose Job brace from ASA (along with the Lip Skid and modified nose wheel) with it's larger fairing since these pics were taken. I have 35 hrs on the airplane to date and have enjoyed every single minute!

P1000287 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

P1000285 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

P1000284 by gerrychuck, on Flickr
IMG00067 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

P1000281 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

P1000280 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

And the results in flight: 1st at a moderate bank angle (I have a hard time keeping it at less than 60 degrees and 2 g's!) over the Saskatchewan prairie:

IMG-20120218-00018 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

And - what I look like every time I fly GERZ!

IMG-20120218-00013 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

I bet that smile is permenant.

Very nice Gerry. I hope to have one very similar to yours very soon.
Fly safe! :D:eek:

Used to work on G-CERZ, so i rubbed my eyes some times to get it right :D

Too funny! My sons picked the call sign from those available that involved some semblance of my name, our family name or my initials, etc. Read phonetically, it leaves no doubt who the plane belongs to lol.

Second Wind

In honour of my new lease on life and flying (lets hear it for cardiothoracic surgeons and understanding people at Transport Canada!), I have christened the 6A "Second Wind". Just got some vinyl cut and applied with the new name and thought I should update this thread with the new look! Many thanks to Flyboy1963 for his help in getting going on this little project; much appreciated!

Pense No. 160-20130623-00102 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

Pense No. 160-20130623-00101 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

Pense No. 160-20130623-00100 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

Pense No. 160-20130623-00099 by gerrychuck, on Flickr

Nicely done Gerry

....so next question; has anyone at the pumps said
"...what's the name about??? "

that's part of the fun eh? :)

Yup! I explained it to a bunch of people at a flying club bbq we hosted at our hangar Friday night, and I hope to be explaining it to many others for years to come:)

Congratulations, Gerry. Dave W had filled me in on your medical challenges and it's great to see you flying again.

Any time you want to fly to Victoria, you've got a place to stay. Both Dave and I live near the beach and walking distance to the town of Sidney. I may also have hangar room if I sell one of my airplanes. My HR-II is ready to fly so my 9A may be on the market.

Seriously, it's a nice trip, but I'd recommend oxygen for the trip over the mountains. I've got a funny story about two hypoxic, tired and drunk pilots at the local bar...

Cheers

Great Gerry, anyone who beats the medical zoo and gets it back should be proud of themselves. Happy second wind!

compass query....

hey Gerry, if you're still following this thread; how close were you able to swing your panel compass? I just read a guys' correction card, and it was out on some headings by over 30 degrees!! ( which , if I recall, makes it 'not legal' for navigation!)
I recently put one in, but haven't swung it yet....just observing that it swings even when I put the key in the ignition!.......so I'm thinking I don't want to do the half-baked swing on the compass rose that I usually due at annual time, I need a co-pilot, and do a proper one in flight .

Perry: We just got a compass rose this spring on our airport. I actually need to drill two holes in my panel to allow access to the adjustment screws on the compass. Right now it is not close at all, and it's much worse if I put my iPod up on the panel beside it....

Vern: Thanks so much for the well-wishes and for the offer of hospitality! I need to get a few cross-countries and a mountain check before I try the flight to the coast, but it is definitely on my "to-do" list, particularly since I have a sister in Campbell River. Say hi to Dave for me!

Back