What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Let's Invade Morristown and Blairsville!

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Tomorrow's forecast (Saturday) for the SE is pretty much severe blue with a chance of sunburn, temperatures in the 60's and 70's....way too nice to stay home. So...if you're within 300 miles of the Smokies drag that bird out of the hangar first thing in the AM. Let's drop a big bunch of RV's on a few unsuspecting small airports.

First stop of the day is Brian's chapter fly-in at Morristown TN (KMOR). We can pillage the place until late morning.....

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=91154

......then launch a flotilla to Blairsville GA (KDZJ), just 85 NM south over the big hill. It appears Chapter 1211 is serving chili from 11 to 2. Chili in the north Georgia mountains sounds good:

http://eaa1211.org/

Both chapters appear to have some active RV builders and flyers. After the shock and awe of viewing a great shining fleet of RVs our brothers would be respected, even revered among their people. ;)

See you in Tennessee.

I wish I would have known about these earlier.. I have some family committments on Saturday.. darn kids and their soccer games ;)

Dang it!!!!

Still have 8.7 more hours to get flown off and can't do it ALL tonite!!!

You guys have a great time!!! Wish I could be there!!!

I'll visit Shelbyville for breakfast and then on to Morristown.
I'm looking forward to a nice day for getting around.

some of us have to work...

but that isn't much in my way. No RV yet, but I'll be there in a black, unmarked government helicopter around 10ish;). Looking forward to meeting everybody. Meanwhile, back to sanding the cowl. uggh!

Hey Dan, Would be awesome to have your fleet of RVs at my flyin on October 6th at Deerfield Resort (TN44). Please come and join in on all the festivities.

Scott

Apparently not much interest, plus a mid-morning TAF of 15G22 and an airmet for low level turbulence. I'm out.

We had a very nice EAA 38 Fall picnic today at 5A2. I even gave a YE flight to an aspiring 15 year old. He starts lessons with an instructor tomorrow :) Beautiful skies in middle GA!

Apparently not much interest, plus a mid-morning TAF of 15G22 and an airmet for low level turbulence. I'm out.

Your "great weather" post was the kiss of doom. I was headed to Morristown until the forecast turned worse. Went to Blairsville instead...

Had a good time - you shoulda come...

I went to KMOR, Had good fun. Hooked up with Brantel. There were 8-10 RVs and a good showing of other homebuilts and antiques. The ramp was crouded. A pair of P-47 Jugs came in after doing some nice flybyes.

Filled my tanks cheaply and flew back to AVL. Saw 200kt on the GPS. :D Made the worst landing I have done in a LONG time. Must have been cocky with all the greasers of late. But...is was 90 deg crosswind gusting to 24. Still shoulda' done better.

Last edited:
Glad to see ya made it back okay Bill. Nice to meet you and Brian finally. 25 kts. Tailwinds were great for getting to morristown, but it was slow going back to Knoxville. Brian, you were right on the tracker, as soon as I got the antenna away from the box, it cleared up.

Had a great safe day and a great turnout.

It was sort of windy but otherwise perfect.

Thanks to all the RV folks that came. I think I counted somewhere around 15 RV's total for the event.

We had a ton of everything else.

Hope all that came had fun and got some cheap fuel. We are a small chapter fighting to keep our small GA airport alive.

Glad to meet you Bill, Randy and Greg in person. I met several other RV guys but did not catch the names. I am horrible with names!

Greg looks pretty impressive all decked out in is day job gear!

Last edited:
Mo-town & B-ville

Brian:

Sure wish I could have made it. It would have been a $350.00 breakfast and lunch tho!

Glad everything turned out well.:)

Mercy, 15G22 is a pretty typical flying day in OK. Especially in the spring months. If we stayed home on days with these winds I am not sure we would get much flying in at all. :D

Mercy, 15G22 is a pretty typical flying day in OK. Especially in the spring months. If we stayed home on days with these winds I am not sure we would get much flying in at all. :D

Wind forecast was straight down the runway, but unfortunately it would also have been a big headwind going home in the low level turbulence. Between staying out of the yellow arc and the headwind I would have had a groundspeed like an RV-9A ;)

Wind forecast was straight down the runway, but unfortunately it would also have been a big headwind going home in the low level turbulence. Between staying out of the yellow arc and the headwind I would have had a groundspeed like an RV-9A ;)
To quote Larry The Cable Guy: "I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!" :D

Not only that, but your passenger would have to look at the back of your head even longer!

Back