What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GDL 82 V2.01 Software, Oct. 10, 2019

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello GDL 82 Users,

As some of you are aware, the initial GDL 82 software could transmit a couple of "uncloaked" ADS-B Out messages with real aircraft ICAO address and Flight ID on power-up, even with the transponder code set to 1200 and the Anonymous switch active.

Many of you requested this be improved, and we are happy to report that this work is complete. The new V2.01 software includes improvements to make sure that a system starting up with the Anonymous mode switch active and a transponder code of 1200 will enter Anonymous before transmitting any messages thus safeguarding the true ICAO address and Flight ID of the aircraft.

We also created a special non-certified aircraft service bulletin with instructions on using the same PC installation tool and USB interface you originally used to install/configure the system to install the new software.

The service bulletin and V2.01 software can be downloaded from the GDL 82 Software Download page. There is one download for the software plus service bulletin, and a second for the PC tool if you need it. The PC tool is unchanged.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

May I be the first to send a "Thank you" to the entire Garmin team? It was the right thing to do, and ya'll got 'er done.

I?m planning an update and the GDL-82 just went to the top of the list. THANK YOU!

A big giant THANK YOU from me also. Way to go Garmin !!!!
Question:
In planning a new panel from (almost) scratch; in order to have the anonymous mode would I need to use the GDL-82 with a non-ADSB xponder or can we expect similar software upgrades for the GTX-345 etc. ??? In other words, how would I get anonymous ADSB in/out with a G3X based system ???

A big giant THANK YOU from me also. Way to go Garmin !!!!
Question:
In planning a new panel from (almost) scratch; in order to have the anonymous mode would I need to use the GDL-82 with a non-ADSB xponder or can we expect similar software upgrades for the GTX-345 etc. ??? In other words, how would I get anonymous ADSB in/out with a G3X based system ???
Hello Larry,

You are welcome.

Currently, the only way to operate in anonymous mode is with a UAT Out solution like the GDL 82 with a GTX 325 or GTX 327 Mode C transponder. We support the GTX 325/327 transponder connected to a G3X/G3X Touch system including touch screen control if you wanted to go that route. You could add a GDL 50R or GDL 52R for ADS-B In traffic and weather.

Perhaps some day we will be allowed to support Anonymous mode on a Mode S ADS-B Out transponder like the GTX 35R/45R/345/345R, but that is not currently permitted.

Thanks,
Steve

What I appreciate most is that a large company like Garmin would provide a super-knowledgeable support person to keep a community like VAF well-informed, answer questions, listen to concerns.

How many companies do you feel like you have a direct interface to the technical staff?

Thank you!

Hello GDL 82 Users,

As some of you are aware, the initial GDL 82 software could transmit a couple of "uncloaked" ADS-B Out messages with real aircraft ICAO address and Flight ID on power-up, even with the transponder code set to 1200 and the Anonymous switch active.

Many of you requested this be improved, and we are happy to report that this work is complete. The new V2.01 software includes improvements to make sure that a system starting up with the Anonymous mode switch active and a transponder code of 1200 will enter Anonymous before transmitting any messages thus safeguarding the true ICAO address and Flight ID of the aircraft.

Steve

This is the deciding factor that confirmed my decision to pull the trigger the next day for the 82.
Was not convinced it was right for me and was sitting on the fence but this gave me that warm fuzzy feeling that now it is what it should be , installing now.

J.

~

Has anyone been able to update their GDL-82 software? The install tool doesn't offer an update option. just repair, uninstall or close. All I get is an error message when I select repair.

Has anyone been able to update their GDL-82 software? The install tool doesn't offer an update option. just repair, uninstall or close. All I get is an error message when I select repair.
Hello alcladrv,

We may not understand what steps you are taking, but it is not necessary to update the install tool.

The instructions in the service bulletin explain how to use the existing PC install tool to upload the new software (download file named 006-B2372-01_0A.gca) to the GDL 82.

We responded to your email.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, you mentioned earlier "Currently, the only way to operate in anonymous mode is with a UAT Out solution like the GDL 82 with a GTX 325 or GTX 327 Mode C transponder"

Do I understand you correctly that with a different transponder attached (ie Narco AT-150) that the anonymous function will not be continuously functional? Thanks for the input, Steve

Steve, you mentioned earlier "Currently, the only way to operate in anonymous mode is with a UAT Out solution like the GDL 82 with a GTX 325 or GTX 327 Mode C transponder"

Do I understand you correctly that with a different transponder attached (ie Narco AT-150) that the anonymous function will not be continuously functional? Thanks for the input, Steve
Hello,

Your installation with a GDL 82 and Narco transponder is still capable of Anonymous mode operation.

It doesn't require a Garmin transponder for the GDL 82 to provide this capability.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
Then a follow-on question is can a GDL82 (anonymous mode) be made to work with a GTX345 such that one could have both ADSB-out in anonymous and ADSB-in ???
If not, how could one get this capability ?? And without portable units - I'm only interested in panel-mount permanent solutions.

Hi Steve,
Then a follow-on question is can a GDL82 (anonymous mode) be made to work with a GTX345 such that one could have both ADSB-out in anonymous and ADSB-in ???
If not, how could one get this capability ?? And without portable units - I'm only interested in panel-mount permanent solutions.
Hello Larry,

Sorry, but a GDL 82 cannot be installed with a Mode S transponder like the GTX 345.

A GTX 345 doesn't have a traffic display, so the display you wish to use would still come into play when choosing the ADS-B In receiver.

The GDL 50R/52R remote mount ADS-B receivers are not panel mount, but still a great solution.

VksJ0QL4vkNqzZ8RLiDYtZLIQuHtRb94B0f4KWiFP2A6S2kQF8HqDlbUZ57F6YvUlnj7L38v7sfTKwvxWoKwQoYf3KYeAUmLv4ehfJ3mKWb6a7bgRshxnNxIRWdGSe3f7Uvm9FlNRhSFFcffu5voFDMzcXB1rnxj0KfsQo1QJgnX9273533w2np_fDtVAJ5O2EuT5tE0DANAaUY_aLRZGC5ZMHEMg3gUlIcGEqZgmcsHes1IHMNa-kcLZowYWzWDXmbcyyU-Jw8y_-Y304Yo9HJv0Rqns1RZPz8P5fBgG-MHsKdPrucLlZUmVNIKgXFKIyBcS8eN-YDy6gafX--AxG27WeD00YVqd77T3rqEUjPGPduDGgH_RJqYP_2AVARSQzye2jm8twSbgNciUqJTD_mJOykDupZsJCI6P0Z_KX2v0gXqJUoGvNVUSTH71BHkvLUy3HJ5preQHi4oM5KwZDD0sbqhUwdGHy_43mQKcXLoqYBhQ19-YzihhROOc2rEJPHBxGYwcIdcbF3pRPO9YrIwgHKkTV_V3H-REEfQmMJXwE9efYWOPndjDfEAMmp5Asc0e9N2ryWjnzk-lMJYwe6z--TGek8XqtB9iFXpMBcSYuUjI7y88_T1bvDnpa5o42io18uvddlzbU3hRULP3zEfTA34sRyKgw2ZaJZtBTrk0rTeqfVzkg=w589-h841-no

4cZKqNtKwvgiz96lTC_uikMQa9PuD-1Zqo3EMqPzYny0ny3O7N_Uurg4iDITYQl_7y3q3Wsg3nLWf3EtK6fKJ7y5Vur5RPwQQFh5FHYix5_rzpIRiu4Dzhpe09tEEitSj92bm-4_akqejS6IhGI12Djpqux7iXm31kSld5PG4hERiniRl0WG7NPzlz4NzIPzWJnnFansoRWCOItXqA9i6rI5l17SaJGUstgh7Y8RGzvo5fSZ2UQrHHhab0sz0IvLOiM-ZHGG16-mxH-3VV8hW4yDRTeOT7HlynsmGk5DkEzRvzYqaPKaUlPwKCnuk-Sj-nCgsK9yAuGVcmgBZnruyLceU34ozhBbd57_MawdHv6B3mDwm6u671ckyugHFsLaUafv3mBuILnt2dUdW4BAvt2AwCb2xLOGUVWHWyUWGo9nLEsd9r_d4e7WksAzGqjQC7ZsCnOStSS2RiJ0AluuDRV1pfIkeXXJ_vQ1_TOakOmy9Ig7r5g66Ci5Koq8Q0jbFdNo-sOShedlooandN_cXZTAElPIlKGZoEvlpvsX03i-mZc_WNrSRZWwAiKSLKZDigibX45qMoyUsXMG5BWQupGaXa2YO3N8AFUSp17-nwvi9VykX7FqM8HU_VqH3B0k1gok471zHwXargMmIPDvz5cYcDKjPJdqBe7_NwBCiNy3b8TMAv4wTA=w677-h841-no

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Read this thread, just posted:

"FAA Acts To Preserve ADS-B Data Privacy (1090 ES)"

Well, shucks, mine won't update. I get the files downloaded, they look just fine.

On the page that shows what's going to update, I get 3 rows in the right column that says what's in the GDL-82. As it shows in the SB. All checked.

On the left column showing LIST, I get the top and bottom row checked as they should be. But the middle row, "FPGA" shows "NONE" and no check.

Upload is grayed out.

Have tried to download the update file with same result.

Any ideas?

Well, shucks, mine won't update. I get the files downloaded, they look just fine.

On the page that shows what's going to update, I get 3 rows in the right column that says what's in the GDL-82. As it shows in the SB. All checked.

On the left column showing LIST, I get the top and bottom row checked as they should be. But the middle row, "FPGA" shows "NONE" and no check.

Upload is grayed out.

Have tried to download the update file with same result.

Any ideas?

Did you get this figured out? Just updated mine today. Had to open the downloaded file and drag it to the desktop. Then it hit browse and selected desktop. Worked great. I was pulling my hair out because I don't use PC's. Buddy pointed me in the right direction.

If you want to upgrade the GDL-82 can you just apply power and the USB connection to do it?

Or does it have to be connected to the transponder and both antennas?

If you want to upgrade the GDL-82 can you just apply power and the USB connection to do it?

Or does it have to be connected to the transponder and both antennas?

The output to the antenna (or a 50 ohm load) should always be connected when powered on, UAT's and mode S xpdrs are always transmitting, not good to run a transmitter into no load.

The output to the antenna (or a 50 ohm load) should always be connected when powered on, UAT's and mode S xpdrs are always transmitting, not good to run a transmitter into no load.

Thanks for the reply.

When you say:

"The output to the antenna ...........should always be connected when powered on......."

...you mean the L-band Antenna connection?

So if I took an L-band antenna that I have laying around and connected:

The L-band antenna
and power,
and the USB connection

....to my GDL-82, can I then safely upgrade the software on the bench?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

When you say:

"The output to the antenna ...........should always be connected when powered on......."

...you mean the L-band Antenna connection?

So if I took an L-band antenna that I have laying around and connected:

The L-band antenna
and power,
and the USB connection

....to my GDL-82, can I then safely upgrade the software on the bench?

Thanks!

Yes the L band transponder antenna, I don't have a GDL repair manual to quote but that is standard practice for transmitters. With the antenna connected you should be fine.

Back