What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV's near east TN?

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

This was touched on some in another thread, but I thought I'd make a new one for this specific topic.

When I was near Pensacola, there were RVs everywhere, but since I've been up here in east TN, I've seen 4 in 3 years. Are they hiding, or just not as popular up here? Best I can tell, there are none at my current home airport MMI, except mine of course.

The answer might just be that there's not much general aviation activity here. I've literally seen more jets flying than RVs.

Cheers,
Rusty (finally working on my gear leg stiffeners again)

Lots of fly in Breakfast around that area that usually have many RV’s, KMOR is hosting another one this Saturday. Tons of RV’s either in East TN or fly into TN Valley events.

Several of us from KMOR area routinely fly down to Dayton, Cleveland, Winchester, etc. searching for pancakes.

I guess I need to be more specific about where I expect to see them :)

I'm not really a morning person, and I've only been to one breakfast fly-in, so maybe that's the problem. When I do hear about one of these gatherings, I always seem to have to work, like this weekend for example...

Cheers,
Rusty (best looking RV and KMMI)

There are a number of RVs in the Asheville NC area, and more being built. Pop over the mountains sometime and say Hi!

I was just in Asheville last week helping to install a new MRI at the VA Hosp. Even driving there was a cool trip. Of course if I fly over, I'd have to avoid the class C since I have no transponder. Good to know there are some RVs over that way though.

Rusty

The answer might just be that there's not much general aviation activity here. I've literally seen more jets flying than RVs.

Like you said... there is little general aviation activity in this region. I am based close to you in Wise, VA, and although we have an EAA chapter here, nobody in our chapter has built or is building any type of homebuilt aircraft (besides me). The rental 172 sits a lot... only 1 or 2 students at a time here at KLNP.

Perhaps some day we'll have some aviation activity... we have a very nice and outgoing airport manager and a nice airport.

Asheville NC does have more general aviation activity than the rest of the region (East TN, SW VA, East KY).

I?m up at KDKX and there are quite a number of RV?s around. Like Brian said, the breakfasts draw them in, and if you find the airports with the cheapest gas, you?ll find them.

GA in East TN is alive and well

The list below are places I find a lot of activity. In addition to that list EAA Chapter 17 meets the first monday evening of each month at 6PM in the 501 Building at KTYS. We have food and social time from 6 to 7 then speakers and presentations from 7 to 8:30PM. We do Young Eagle events and support for aircraft like the EAA Tri-Motor at KDKX and the B17 Aluminum Overcast at KTYS. Last weekend over 5000 people did ground tours of Aluminum Overcast and over 100 took flights from KTYS that was all supported by the volunteers from Chapter 17. We do flyouts to airports for museum tours and lunch. An upcoming flyout will be at KMNV on August 12th. Come join us at Chapter 17 our yearly dues are all of $20. BTW, KMNV will be having a saturday breakfast on August 11th.

KDKX had a fly in breakfast last Saturday.

The Chapter at KMOR seems to be quite active also. I’ve seen posts by Brantel where they fly out as a group. They do a Saturday breakfast my wife and I enjoy attending. They have one tomorrow, unfortunately my employer expects me to work this weekend.

1st Saturday
Morristown, TN. KMOR (“Morristown”)
Rome GA KRMG (“Rome”)
Briscoe GA KLZU (“Briscoe”)
Winchester TN KBGF (“Winchester”)

2nd Saturday
Guntersville AL 8A1 (“Guntersville”)
Madisonville TN KMNV (“Monroe County”)
Murfressboro TN (lunch) KMBT (“Murfressboro”)
Gallatin, TN M33 (“Sumner County”)

3rd Saturday
Cleveland TN KRZR (“Cleveland”)
Moontown AL 3M5 (“Moontown”)

4th Saturday
Dayton TN 2A0 (“Dayton”)
Shelbyville TN KSYI (“Shelbyville”)

5th Saturday
Athens TN KMMI (“McMinn County”)
Ft. Payne AL 4A9 (“Isbell Field”)

Every Saturday
Culman, AL. CMD (“Culman”). Diner in the FBO

Lunch
2nd Friday
Jasper GA KJZP (Pickens County)

Last edited:
We are thinking of relocating in about a year from WI to Tellico Village near Lenoir City/Vonore. Any recommendations for airports in that vicinity with hangar availability?

5th Saturday
Decatur, AL DCU (“Pryor Field”)

Lunch
2nd Friday

Excellent compilation of TN and north AL events! Please strike DCU from the breakfast list so nobody will make a trip and leave hungry. However, breakfast and lunch is available at the cool little diner at the Cullman, AL FBO (CMD) every Saturday.

Last edited:
We are thinking of relocating in about a year from WI to Tellico Village near Lenoir City/Vonore. Any recommendations for airports in that vicinity with hangar availability?

Hangar space is always an issue. KMNV is in hopes of building more, I would get on the list now by contacting them. Tom McCosh is the manager. I do not have his number.

DCU removed from breakfast list, CMD added. It really is hard to keep that stuff up to date, thanks Sam

Last edited:
The list below are places I find a lot of activity. In addition to that list EAA Chapter 17 meets the first monday evening of each month at 6PM in the 501 Building at KTYS. We have food and social time from 6 to 7 then speakers and presentations from 7 to 8:30PM. We do Young Eagle events and support for aircraft like the EAA Tri-Motor at KDKX and the B17 Aluminum Overcast at KTYS. Last weekend over 5000 people did ground tours of Aluminum Overcast and over 100 took flights from KTYS that was all supported by the volunteers from Chapter 17. We do flyouts to airports for museum tours and lunch. An upcoming flyout will be at KMNV on August 12th. Come join us at Chapter 17 our yearly dues are all of $20. BTW, KMNV will be having a saturday breakfast on August 11th.

KDKX had a fly in breakfast last Saturday.

The Chapter at KMOR seems to be quite active also. I’ve seen posts by Brantel where they fly out as a group. They do a Saturday breakfast my wife and I enjoy attending. They have one tomorrow, unfortunately my employer expects me to work this weekend.

1st Saturday
Morristown, TN. KMOR (“Morristown”)
Rome GA KRMG (“Rome”)
Briscoe GA KLZU (“Briscoe”)
Winchester TN KBGF (“Winchester”)

2nd Saturday
Guntersville AL 8A1 (“Guntersville”)
Madisonville TN KMNV (“Monroe County”)
Murfressboro TN (lunch) KMBT (“Murfressboro”)
Gallatin, TN M33 (“Sumner County”)

3rd Saturday
Cleveland TN KRZR (“Cleveland”)
Moontown AL 3M5 (“Moontown”)

4th Saturday
Dayton TN 2A0 (“Dayton”)
Shelbyville TN KSYI (“Shelbyville”)

5th Saturday

Every Saturday
Culman, AL. CMD (“Culman”). Diner in the FBO

Lunch
2nd Friday

This needs to be a sticky!! :) Great list.

I'm down at Collegedale (KFGU) and we have our next EAA Chapter 150 meetings at 9am on the third Saturday of the month. The chapter is starting to grow a good bit these last couple years, and has a good group of folks in it.

EDIT: Winchester ALWAYS seems to have the cheapest fuel in our area. Its a neat little flight, and the people at the FBO are really friendly. If you want to venture down to GA, Elliot Field (Bill Eliiots private airport) has the lowest priced fuel I've seen anywhere. Its a private field, but welcoming to folks getting fuel. The city is working on a plan to convert it into a public use airport.

Last edited:
Man, I go away for a few hours and there's a whole breakfast schedule here now :)

My first choice of airports would be KMNV, just because it's maybe 10 min closer. Sadly, they only have a few hangars, and the new ones they hope to build have been at least a year out for the past year. It's definitely not the airport managers fault, because he's pushing as hard as he can to get the county/state/etc to realize how badly the space is needed. Hopefully they can add a taxiway in the process.

Rusty

I think EAA 242 at Columbia SC [KCUB] has a breakfast every third Saturday. They have a really nice "clubhouse". Also, you can stick around for lunch at the Hunter Gatherer Brewery in the old Wright hangar.

New guy checking in. I’m a prospective builder in the TRI cities. Still doing my research and would be interested in meeting up with some local builders to learn from their projects.

Last edited:
Whew! huge relief! I read the first post here and was saddened....I am working on relocating to Nashville in the next 6 months. SO SO GLAD people replied and reassured quite the opposite. Whew.....thank God. I would be surprised if there wasn't a good experimental crowd...Tennessee is a good economy.

Back