What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3"M"???

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
Gents,

Been away from RV's for a long while, owned an RV-3 many years ago (148CW, great plane!) Got the itch again, looking at an RV-3M (at least, this is how it's advertised.)

Never heard of an RV-3M. Know about a regular -3, -3A, -3B. The person listed as the seller is not very responsive with an answer. Anyone heard of what makes an RV-3 an "M" variant?

Thanks!

Nope - never heard of one. Which doesn’t mean someone didnt’ creative with a build. Only the owner is going to help you on this one.....

Nope - never heard of one. Which doesn’t mean someone didnt’ creative with a build. Only the owner is going to help you on this one.....

Or a quick search of the FAA registry and VAF :)

Not positive but this post might be applicable - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=213452&postcount=6

Sounds like a RV-3 originally built with a Subby motor, hence the different designation.

Here are the 3 RV-'s http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...aspx?Mfrtxt=NELSON+GENE+R+&Modeltxt=&PageNo=1

And it is also a fastback - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=158897&postcount=12

This is one of them - don't know if it is the from the OP -

N66AZ.jpg

This is the Mk I listed by the FAA, not a RV... :)

66355_1339486590.jpg

Google knows almost everything!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I haven't seen the RV-3 in question in person yet, don't know "N" number (can't see it in the pics.)

The seller's rep has been VERY non-responsive. If this guy was selling MY plane, I'd be a little upset. Two phone calls and two emails have gone un-replied.

I saw an ad for a "RV-3M" on B*******mers. The n-number is visible on the instrument panel. This n-number has also been on a Gulfstream and currently an RV-8 by an inactive VAF member. I wonder when this RV-3 last flew. Possibly Internet database errors, but I have found three n-numbers associated with RV-3's using the same serial number but two different "manufacturers". Hmm?

Last edited:
Yep, went and looked closer, there's the N-number on the panel. We're looking at the same one, that number currently in the database on an RV-8.

Hmmmm.....

Certainly not the plane you're looking for, but This showed up at a local airport this weekend... Marked as a "Meyers 3" and appears to have RV-3/4/6 empennage and wings, with a custom-designed fuselage. I didn't get to talk to the builder/owner/pilot, it left while I was elsewhere on the field. It made a lot of noise climbing out, I figured it must have an O-320 or O-360 in it, and a wood prop.
J3F98J0rLrqMY-UPv9Bbqqb2jNcewxJu2itB1ry8xQSkkJXLoTZZm4RmBRafasfNzmugGYZNk4J4WP_WcW4HDbqFLy0vhv02HzWakBN-RE0VgfT7b-R69u4QUkkvoj-A7HR2XkpoNThxTjUmuPt2wYyGgsTtkwCbiIXFbklp8wjp1AZoy4B5n4PC-hkFQf2-UOu7fnMthEgApy2Ir_phhxAyfeDzITbRXbCA9BqXr2P67Pbh5-7onkP9bJeAZJ53K_AVZ9w2IliZ32jypR-6MUnPeir_wZv1p-rQc51czm3pBVYkcn9wvq-ykU2pQaKKyskpHSuLsMX9LC1aktFPgyUNWkDcnzwLlZcFDQ6pr5RjjCSC1wRx3fS-wVmebRyHWDLxEG4W-akoJX9_fBQS9oYsNa8QmOiIjbE02c8OUhRU64VtmKW8FXBVVtwtFUSEBl_sC8bz46QBJPXnnRGoDdkrlp7_9tGocbsMcGdTSgjfVUKOp0dRnf_d1bjFMvsWm1Uz3IbX9s4YLeUeSm0OmIkOg1_P4QJvaFa-uayHNUQRoUcRSeV4GgMa-vGnb3Z58N57TVma3xMZ-zwvbdFYi62Uy3nzg9CehT5ogi7l=w929-h523-no

Back