What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how many gps do you have on board?

how many gps do you have on board?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gps

Garmin 430 ifr gps
Navworx gps
Grand Rapids gps
Two tablets with individual gps
Android phone with one gps
Guess I'm at 6 of them!

Two, but the number is about to go up. Right now it's a Garmin 496 and an iPhone, but I'll be adding either a GDL 39 or (more likely) Stratux and a tablet... so figure four of them before long.

GRT
AvMap
iPad
Stratus
Laura's iPhone
and I think my phone has one-----never used it.

Will be adding a GTN 650, so that would be 7

With GPS enabled smartphones and iPad, when my wife and I fly together we have a total of six GPS's on board. All with some form of flight data.

Garmin 430W
Dynon SkyView GPS
Garmin Aera
iPad
iPhone
Android phone

:eek:

Last edited:
You forgot to include the number zero. That's how many I have. I usually have an iPad along, but I'd go without it on a local flight with a paper chart.

I think I misunderstood the question. Is it how many GPS antenna, or the number of devices that use GPS?

I have 3 antenna, but 4 (5?) devices using gps (I think). Two for G3x, one for GNS650, one for ADS-B, and doesn't the transponder use an input too?

You forgot to include the number zero. That's how many I have. I usually have an iPad along, but I'd go without it on a local flight with a paper chart.

Come on now. Unless you have an antiquated flip phone, chances are you have a "GPS on board." I'm only saying that because I've yet to meet someone without a cellphone. :D

On the way to Oshkosh we usually have 11, do I win?

GTN-650
Avidyne IFD-540
AF-GPS Puck
XM Weather module with GPS
GDL39
4 Iphones
2 Ipads

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Come on now. Unless you have an antiquated flip phone, chances are you have a "GPS on board." I'm only saying that because I've yet to meet someone without a cellphone. :D

I know several people who don't have cell phones. And MY cell phone is a phone, period. No GPS in it.

On the way to Oshkosh we usually have 11, do I win?

GTN-650
Avidyne IFD-540
AF-GPS Puck
XM Weather module with GPS
GDL39
4 Iphones
2 Ipads

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

no you don't win. subtract 4 for your extra passengers and you get 7. just a bit above normal. i had no idea anyone could get close to 10!!! :eek:
GPS-Units-540x303.jpg

I know several people who don't have cell phones. And MY cell phone is a phone, period. No GPS in it.

Unless you still have a 2g only phone (which if you do be prepared to get a shutoff notice). You have a gps in it. 3G/4G rely on mobile gps for E911 services

Antiquated Garmin 196 (battery powered), iPad mini, iPhone 6, and my Stratus.

Vlad, an extra GPS wouldn't hurt and you can get a 196 on the cheap....just saying. :D

If I get lost it's my fault

GRT HXr
GRT MiniX 2
GTN650
Skyradar
APRS
iFly 720

Also if both me and my wife on board

iPads 2
Phones 2

I wonder if there is a limit on how many GPS waves you get to use?

That's 11 if all up.. Obnoxious..

Unless you still have a 2g only phone (which if you do be prepared to get a shutoff notice). You have a gps in it. 3G/4G rely on mobile gps for E911 services

OK, Then I'll rephrase. My phone has no navigation capability!
That's what the the topic is about.

I've used an iPhone to find an uncharted private strip or to overfly a friends property a couple of times. Just plug in the address and fly to the pin on the map. John

GPS. jamming?

Just curious what y'all with all that GPS horsepower do when you fly through areas with NOTAMS that have GPS interference/jamming and loss of accuracy.

Just curious what y'all with all that GPS horsepower do when you fly through areas with NOTAMS that have GPS interference/jamming and loss of accuracy.

Well, it's never happened to me but if VFR I'll fly with the old mark one eyeball or VOR and if IFR I'll report it, request a clearance amendment if necessary (depends if I'm direct to off airway), and switch to VOR NAV for the remainder of the flight.

GPS Interference

FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION
FLIGHT ADVISORY GPS Interference Testing WSMR GPS 16-06
08-12 March, 2016 Alamogordo, NM
GPS testing is scheduled as follows and may result in unreliable or unavailable GPS signal.
A. Location: Centered at 324029N 1060700W or the ELP VOR 359 degree radial at 52NM.
B. Dates and times:

08 ? 12 MAR 16 0730Z ? 1330Z

C. Duration: Each event may last the entire requested period
D. NOTAM INFO: NAV (WSMR GPS 16-06) GPS (INCLUDING WAAS, GBAS, AND ADS-B) MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE WITHIN A 469NM RADIUS CENTERED AT 324029N1060700W (ELP 359052)
FL400-UNL DECREASING IN AREA WITH A DECREASE IN ALTITUDE DEFINED AS:
431NM RADIUS AT FL250
360NM RADIUS AT 10000FT
361NM RADIUS AT 4000FT AGL
306NM RADIUS AT 50FT AGL

E. Pilots are encouraged to report anomalies only when ATC assistance is required.

The NOTAMs discussed in this advisory may change with little or no notice. Pilots are advised to check NOTAMs frequently for possible changes prior to operations in the area. NOTAMs will be published at least 24 hours in advance of any GPS tests.

My plane is Radar Vector equipped

Old school...cracks me up. I see nothing wrong with keeping navigational skills sharp but like the majority of us, use of GPS is probably the easiest and safest. And why not use what is readily available and simple? I intentionally avoid the VOR hotspots.

Garmin 295
Nexus 7 running Avare
iPhone 4 running Foreflight
I'm waiting on the FlightBox ADS-B in, WAAS GPS kit that we crowd funded thru Kickstarter.
I agree with Infidel, and avoid traffic hotspots, but you just can't avoid high traffic areas if you attend fly-ins. ;)

Back