What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Personal Property Taxes in Tennessee

N42AH

Well Known Member
Can a resident of Tennessee please advise me if there is any personal property tax on their RV?

Tennessee has no personal property tax and no requirement for state registration of airplanes.

Mike

It may take the tax man 6 months to a year to find you but they do search the federal registration and then contact you for the tax. Some proof of value is required to base the tax on. They are pretty nice about it but they still want some of your money.:mad:

What he said. No personal property tax but they will get your for Use tax once....Don't try to skip it or they will find you with a penalty!

Is there no casual sale exemption in TN? There is in GA, or at least was. It may have changed.

Tennessee tax

If you built your plane in TN and bought parts here, you will have paid sales tax on those parts and can deduct their cost from the total value. I got a bit of relief by doing that.

I also had a hard time dealing with the local state rep in Memphis and ended up contacting the head guy in Nashville who was much more reasonable.

The local Memphis rep wanted to tax me based on the planes value rather than my cost.

Good luck.

Back