What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool compartment

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
After reading the threads on what tools to carry and taking into consideration of safely storing those tools.......

What have people done for hidden tool compartment(s)?

Baggage Area Storage

Here are a couple pictures of the storage bins I put in my baggage area floor. I can't take credit for the design, but I can't remember who I stole it from 5 years ago either. :eek:

normal_%7E0022.JPG

normal_%7E0024.JPG

My photo gallery.

I put my ELT and first aid kit in one side and keep some tools & a quart of oil in the other, sorry no pictures of that in the gallery.

Webb,

I don't have any photos ('cause I haven't built mine yet) but it seems like the most popolar method is to put a compartment under the baggage floor. Some builders get really fancy and put a joggle in around the "hatch" so it lays flush, but I think I will put one on each side of the control tunnel and not mess with the joggle/flush lid. Just install some nutplates and screw the lid down to the floor ribs. Of course if you leave your screwdriver in the compartment......;)

Roger
-9A QB finish kit (almost)
La Grande Oregon

I did something similar.

FP11122007A0000N.jpg

I picked up my hartwell latches on ebay.

FP14012008A00023.jpg

Should be good for tools/oil/rags etc....

-Ron

I bought a small, nylon tool bag from Lowes and keep that in the baggage compartment.

Simple, easy to remove, didn't increase my build time.

But that is only because I didn't think about some of the neet tool lockers shown above.

behind the seats

I'm begining to think about something built one on the seat backs. Maybe a hinged box that had a latch at the top and drops down.

Not too fancy but out of the way. What I don't want is to get brained in the back of the head in turbulance.

In my last RV, I used a small canvas tool bag from the military surplus store. This time around, I bought a pair of these cool seatback bags for RV's:

http://www.bisonmountainbags.com/newmainpage.html

I'm not flying yet but they look like they'll work great. I'm thinking of filling one with tools and spare parts, and the other with emergency survival gear.

mcb

Looks nice

In my last RV, I used a small canvas tool bag from the military surplus store. This time around, I bought a pair of these cool seatback bags for RV's:

http://www.bisonmountainbags.com/newmainpage.html

I'm not flying yet but they look like they'll work great. I'm thinking of filling one with tools and spare parts, and the other with emergency survival gear.

mcb

rvfb3viewij8.jpg

I like it. Cutout for the flaps, proper shape, even the right color for me. Price is not bad and you can pull it out if you need it.
Not bad for 90 bucks. Even looks like it has tie down snaps on it

Baggage door design

Here are a couple pictures of the storage bins I put in my baggage area floor. I can't take credit for the design, but I can't remember who I stole it from 5 years ago either. :eek:

normal_%7E0022.JPG

normal_%7E0024.JPG

My photo gallery.

I put my ELT and first aid kit in one side and keep some tools & a quart of oil in the other, sorry no pictures of that in the gallery.

Tony,

I'll take credit. I put the design that I used on my RV-6 out on the Matronics list about 8 years ago. I used to sell the latches as well.

Glad it worked out for you. It's served me well after 1400hrs.

Laird
SoCal

Laird Owens

That was Laird Owens. I bought a bunch of Hartwell latches from him to do the same thing. He even sent me a drawing of how to do it. He's a nice guy.

I'll second that.

That was Laird Owens. I bought a bunch of Hartwell latches from him to do the same thing. He even sent me a drawing of how to do it. He's a nice guy.

I was trying to remember where I got my info on building the floor hatch. It was Laird and I also got my latches from him.

Kent

Baggage Floor Storage

Laird - You're the MAN! Thanks for jogging my memory. Your idea has worked great for me too. So have the Hartwell latches you sold me all those years ago. THANKS!

I would like to have a Bison Mountain bag but I have my homemade 3 gallon smoke oil tank behind the pax seat and I simply bungee my heavy duty Bruce's canopy cover to my seat back.

PA210030_Vga.JPG

PA210025_Vga.JPG

The smoke system works great except with a burn rate of about 3/4 gal. a minute it is much more expensive than avgas per hour! :eek:

I wonder how used McD. french fry oil would burn?

The last low pass in this video I was out of oil. I need to make a better video someday, maybe a bigger tank too.

weak spot

I also made these lockers for my -7a. They work great but just a reminder that the lids are now very weak and if you are in the luggage compartment (ie during your annual etc) you need to put wood down or your knee or supporting hand will go through the door and bend it big time - ask me how I know.......

Otherwise they work great.

I'm begining to think about something built one on the seat backs. Maybe a hinged box that had a latch at the top and drops down.

Not too fancy but out of the way. What I don't want is to get brained in the back of the head in turbulance.
There's a design in one of the old RVators that uses a triangular shaped box in that unused area aft of the seatbacks. It was a very clever design that used hinge segments to tie it into the seatpans like the seatbacks down. Also, because it just attached with hinges, you could easily pull the whole box out if you needed the space for something else.

I'm not a big fan of loose parts bouncing around on the bottom exterior skin of the baggage compartment. If I did that, I'd be sure to put down a subfloor to protect the exterior skin.

Back