What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark plug adapters

dpansier

Well Known Member
Spark plug and adapter question for the engine experts:

I have a Barrett IO-390 using REB37E plugs with a 13/16” reach.
Converting to 14mm auto plugs would require an adapter how long?

Thanks for the info Carl,
Looks like I screwed up and have a set (4) of the SR adapters, they are 3/4” overall length.
If anyone needs a set they can have them for a $25. donation to VAF, I will pick up the postage in the USA.

Thanks for the info on the plugs Walt,
Appears the Denso Plugs are out of stock nation wide, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.<G>

Appears the Denso Plugs are out of stock nation wide, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.<G>

I am certain that there is an NGK equivilant to this plug. NGKs are also good plugs and often used on lycoming's with good results. I use them on my 540. Th 8 heat range on the NGKs is the most used on Lycomings with 8.5:1 CR pistons.

Larry

And don't forget to use the right plugs, I prefer Denso IKH24

Can you elaborate?

I have a PMAG with O360, using NGK plugs now just because that's what's in the manual. Seem okay but they have the stupid screw-in ferrules which want to get loose.

Let’s not get engines mixed up.

For parallel valve engines, the above NGK BR8ES (item #3961) and standard plug adapter are correct.

For the OP’s angle head IO-390 the Denso IKH27 and long reach adapters are correct. The Denso IKH24 plug can be used if you want a slightly cooler plug.

Carl

Denso 24s are hotter than 27s.

Thanks for clearing up the adapter issue.
I did locate some Denso plugs, hope they are real thing as chatter on the car forums say counterfeit Denso plugs are very common.

I've been buying my Denso plugs through Rock Auto. Good prices and fast delivery. I hope they are the real thing.......

Back