What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center section skin riveting

Jslow2

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone had, or of its even possible, to rivet the center section skin with the center section sitting vertical. I think it would be easier to rivet if the center section was standing on end, or at last with the spar spacers sitting flat on saw horses.

There's really nothing keeping you from riveting in any position you feel like, as long as you can stabilize whatever it is you're working on. There have been many times I've had parts in completely oddball orientations just to make it easier for me to have a comfortable riveting position. At least for my riveting abilities, a position that allows the gun to be held against the material without awkward effort makes much, much higher quality rivets and is well worth the effort of positioning parts.

I'm just getting ready to tackle the center section, and I'm guessing I'll do some with it laying horizontally and some with it clamped vertically to the edge of the table. You have to get a bit more creative when you don't have a riveting partner very often!

I was wondering if anyone had, or of its even possible, to rivet the center section skin with the center section sitting vertical. I think it would be easier to rivet if the center section was standing on end, or at last with the spar spacers sitting flat on saw horses.

Yes, possible, I riveted mine vertically.

Back