What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360-A1A to Titan X370 conversion

pv9

Hi folks:
After exchanging emails with James Ball at Continental I am seriously considering swapping out the O-360-A1A on my RV-8A with the standard compression X370. I am wondering if anyone has done this swap?
I found a few threads on VAF that discuss a ground up build with a X370 but none that have details of a in-place swap.

Besides the baffles, which seem like a minor issue, will everything else generally work without modification?

Prop governor
Throttle, mixture cables to the carb
Probes for EGT, CHT
Temperature and pressure sensors for oil, fuel flow, MP

Thank you.

Fairly easy conversion

My brother and I both swapped our O-360’s for Titan IO-370’s. My brother had converted his O-360 to AFP Fuel Injection sometime ago, so he had a little less work to do then me.

I re-did my fuel system from the main spar forward. I used the standard Vans dog house and fuel pump mount. I used the AFP fuel pump and filter. I also used the fuel line package from TS Flightlines.

We both converted to firewall mounted oil coolers (Aero Classic 8001649). This took a bit of seat of the pants engineering as a retrofit. The only other thing that was a bit challenging was the throttle/mixture bracket. We had to fabricate a custom L-bracket to attach to the Vans bracket to get the throttle cable in the proper alignment to operate without binding.

It was worth the work and I am very glad I did it. The only downside is starting the engine was easier with the carb, but everyone with Fuel Injection learns to start their injected engine.

BTW. We both went with 9.6:1 compression and dual Bendix mags

Back