What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 High oil pressure?

jerryab

I have an 0320 (240 hrs TT since factory new) seems to be producing too much oil pressure. I've cleaned all screens, cut oil filters, replaced the transducer from Van's (Guage is Van's). This started about 30 hours ago when I noticed the oil pressure was pegged at the bottom of the guage in flight, way over 100 lbs. My a&p checked pressure at the firewall with an independent guage, and he said it was too high. So he turned down the pressure on the engine so the guage read about 75 lbs in flight. He said i should order a new transducer, which I did. I just installed the new transducer and now the oil pressure is as high as ever, 90 at 1000 rpms and off the charts at higher rpms. I'm at my wit's end. Is it possible I screwed the new transducer in too far on the manifold? I can't think of anything else! I sure felt better with the old transducer, it at least read something I thought I could live with. Ignorance is bliss, but also dangerous.
Jerry
N331RD
RV6A

Is it possible I screwed the new transducer in too far on the manifold? I can't think of anything else! I sure felt better with the old transducer, it at least read something I thought I could live with. Ignorance is bliss, but also dangerous.

Screwing the transducer on (a little) more will not alter the gauge reading. The Van's gauges are not the most fantastic in the world - I would get a mechanical know good gauge and connect it to the spare port on your manifold and run the engine on the ground. It is easy to adjust the pressure, either by backing off the the large nut - I've found 3 turns makes around 10 psi difference - or by removing the large top hat thing and taking out washers. Or sometimes both, I've seen washers put under the spring under the adjuster.

If you don't believe the gauge you have, make sure you get on you trust to get a 'truth' reading.

A man with 2 watches will never know the correct time!

Pete

may get new guage

thanks for your thoughts, I'm seriously considering a complete new setup with guages other than Van's. Any suggestions?

Back