What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Placement of CHT Probes 0-320

jerryab

I have an 0320DIA on my 6. I've had problems with the CHT reading to low. I have just installed a new JPI 700 and put the probes in the bosses next to the spark plugs. Now someone told me these are for a fuel injection systemand not for probes! So is there anywhere else to insert the CHT probes into the cylinder. This was a factory new engine 260 hours ago. I am aware I can place some blades under each spark plug, but I really don't want to have to buy new probes.

Jerry
N331RD

Cylinder head temp probes go into the bottom of the cylinder to a "boss" centered front to back. The probes will point straight down when installed.
The fuel injection ports are at an angle pointed at the back of the intake valve.

Here is a picture of one in place:

It is the wire with the spring wrapped around it (for those who have never seen a CHT probe).

cht probes

SOUNDS LIKE WERE BOTH AT SAME STAGE I HAD SAME QUESTIONS WENT TO MY LOCAL FBO TALKED TO MECHANIC HE TOOK ME IN HANGER AND POINTED OUT CHT ON THREE DIFF. ENGINGES LYCOMING OF COURSE AND ITS SMACK DAB ON THE VERY BOTTOM OF CYLINDER I HAVE 0320D2J THATS EXACTLY WHERE THIER AT , APPEAR TO BE STRAIGHT IN AND NOT AT 45 DEG. LIKE SOME MAYBE.

Back