What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy Strut Guards

SeanB

Well Known Member
Once upon a time, there was a post about PVC pipe being cut, then slipped onto the tip up canopy struts. I believe this helped lock the canopy in the up position as a safeguard from a failed strut or wind slamming things shut. IIRC, Doug Reeves showed a photo of his with yellow an black striped safety tape on them. Cannot find any of this on archives. Anyone have this setup and/or pics?

Thank you!

Here you go, Sean.

Many pics:
https://dougreeves.smugmug.com/Tip-Up-Canopy-Strut-Brace/

IMG_1910-L.jpg

Painted yellow after these pictures taken...

Last edited:
Rubber fuel hose that has been slit and slipped over the strut rods will accomplish the same thing and won't scratch paint.

I used CPVC tubing (thinner and lighter), slit it length wise then heated until soft and slid onto the cylinder. That way I just slide up when not using, always available. Both sides is better for wind as it won't twist the assembly. If leaving in the hangar I just use one incase one decides to get lazy and allows the canopy to fall. No paint has been harmed.

This was suggested by a 7A friend years ago. He lives less than 100 yds from the garage that built the Playboy that became the RV-1

CPVC has worked well for me many years. Tried the fuel hose in above post- my strut pushed it right off. Stress fuel hose hard before you trust it. Velcro PVC to edge of panel right next to strut. Easy to find, never tempted to skip it.

Back