What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912 ULS Familiarization Course

I am trying to find a course so I can become more familiar with my plane. I have figured out how to change the oil and do some basic things, but I would love to attend a class and learn more of the basics. I have heard of a 16 hour course that teaches just that, but I am having a hard time finding one. Any ideas of where and when one might be? I can travel anywhere in the US. Thanks!

https://rainbowaviation.com/?page_id=3997

I am trying to find a course so I can become more familiar with my plane. I have figured out how to change the oil and do some basic things, but I would love to attend a class and learn more of the basics. I have heard of a 16 hour course that teaches just that, but I am having a hard time finding one. Any ideas of where and when one might be? I can travel anywhere in the US. Thanks!

I took the 16 hour course probably 15 years ago. It was 12 hours of bookwork (FAA regs, etc) in a classroom and 4 hours airplane familiarization, mostly Rotax engine, on the airplane. The 16 hour course might do what you want, but the Rotax courses, also 2 days and considerably more expensive, will do more.
Study of the manuals works, although I would not try to persuade anyone that self-study is the most efficient way to learn about the Rotax. Still, it is a way.
Have you looked at Rocky Mountain Kitplanes to see if they have anything to offer? They're west of Utah Lake at West Desert Park UT9.

Last edited:
Rainbow offers the 16 hour Light Sport Repairman Inspection (LSRI) course which allows you to do the annual condition inspection on your ELSA.

It is a 15 day course for the Light Sport Repairman Maintenance (LSRM) if you have a SLSA.

For service and maintenance on the 912, Rotax has 2 day courses offered by their dealers. The first one is called the Service course and will give you basic info.

https://www.rotaxirmt.com/training-centres

There are also quite a lot of training videos on https://www.flyrotax.com/news/video.html

and https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos-topmenu/912-videos

Last edited:
I took the Rainbow course. Spent 16 hours in class sitting next to an uncowled Rotax 92ULS on a light sport a/c which was never mentioned. Nothing but FAA Regis, log book entries, etc. Got the repairman certificate for my RV12 but didn’t learn squat about the Rotax or the RV12.

I took the Lockwood Aviation Rotax Service course about a year ago from Dean Vogel. I also took a repairman course in Arlington from Rainbow. The Rotax course does not meet the repairman course requirements. I would say the Rotax course was well worth the trip to Sebring, Florida. Plus the hotel is right on the Sebring Raceway.

I took the Rainbow course. Spent 16 hours in class sitting next to an uncowled Rotax 92ULS on a light sport a/c which was never mentioned. Nothing but FAA Regis, log book entries, etc. Got the repairman certificate for my RV12 but didn’t learn squat about the Rotax or the RV12.

This is great to know. Saved me some money. Thank you

I took the Lockwood Aviation Rotax Service course about a year ago from Dean Vogel. I also took a repairman course in Arlington from Rainbow. The Rotax course does not meet the repairman course requirements. I would say the Rotax course was well worth the trip to Sebring, Florida. Plus the hotel is right on the Sebring Raceway.

I took both the 2 day service and the additional 2 day maintenance Rotax courses at Lockwood from Dean over 6 years ago. Four straight days at Sebring but very enjoyable. Also took the 16 hour course from Rainbow on a weekend for the LSA repairman's certificate. They are all good and serve different purposes.

2 day Rotax service course is very good for owners. More than just basic but not overly hands on. Additional 2 day maintenance course was really good if you want higher confidence in order to remove/replace Rotax parts ect... We took apart a 912 and began to put it back together. If you really want to gain confidence over the 912, I would recommend both the Rotax courses.

I took both the 2 day service and the additional 2 day maintenance Rotax courses at Lockwood from Dean over 6 years ago. Four straight days at Sebring but very enjoyable. Also took the 16 hour course from Rainbow on a weekend for the LSA repairman's certificate. They are all good and serve different purposes.

2 day Rotax service course is very good for owners. More than just basic but not overly hands on. Additional 2 day maintenance course was really good if you want higher confidence in order to remove/replace Rotax parts ect... We took apart a 912 and began to put it back together. If you really want to gain confidence over the 912, I would recommend both the Rotax courses.

Except that there have not been any courses offered for almost a year now. I was signed up to attend both courses scheduled for this week but it was cancelled once again due to COVID restrictions. I cant wait to get things opened up again.

A few days ago they added a LSRM (Inspection) class to the calendar, two days before the official start of Sun & Fun in Apopka, FL. Like others said, it won't teach you about Rotax / RV12, but if you are wanting to do your own ELSA Annual Inspections, you might want to attend.

Which course? Either LSRM or LSRI as far as I know. If I were you I would just give Rainbow a quick phone call. I believe they keep lists of interested people.

16 hr inspection course for E-LSA built RV-12's, the LSRI. Will give them a call, thanks.

Rotax courses

I second the opinions posted by several others. My RV-12 first flight was in 2016 and while I was building it I both took the Rainbow course at Apopka, FL, to get my repairman certificate and went to Sebring to take the Rotax inspection course at Lockwood Aviation. Both were worth doing. As others mentioned, the Rainbow course was heavy on FAA regulations and touched on Rotax engines only briefly. The 2-day Lockwood course was entirely on the Rotax 912 and I felt reasonably well prepared for the inspections and maintenance I have done so far (309 hours in service). I have spent a lot of time reading manuals! The only thing I have paid a shop to do was the 200-hour overhaul of the carbs.

Good luck on course scheduling, undoubtedly still a Covid problem.

At the risk of insulting everyone's intelligence, I'll mention that Rainbow is now located in Kingsville, MO, southeast of Kansas City.
Of course, they may well still offer some of their courses in California but as was suggested an email or phone call to them would clarify matters.

When I took the LSA-I course over a weekend it was heavy on FAA regs which makes sense. The feds want to make sure you know the requirements. Given all the different engines and airframe kits out there for LSA builds it’s up to you to familiarize yourself with your hardware to do the work to meet the regs.

Back