What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass course

RViator60

Well Known Member
Hi all, I'm looking for a basic course in fiberglass techniques. Unfortunately, I can't attend the EAA workshop next March and was wondering if anyone knew of a similar crash course.

Dan threads

Marty, you don't need a course. Order the practice kit below, with book. Read the manual a few times, and build the practice parts exactly as described.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/practicekit.php

Run a search for Dan threads. Read any threads or posts. The man is an encyclopedia of fiberglass knowledge.
I'm doing a fiberglass layup canopy skirt. Looks good so far but I haven't popped it off yet.
A few things I've learned so far.
Buy 8 Harness fiberglass. Aircraft Spruce # 7781-60
Buy twice the amount of West 206 hardener you think you'll need. When you mix by weight, it seems to go fast. I assume it's lighter than the epoxy.
Buy twice what you think you need of 4" peel ply. It really goes fast.
I found rolls of 4 Mil plastic at Home Depot. It's 36" or 48" X 50' and perfect for layup. I can use ia section twice if working fast. I stopped using a top piece to squeegie since the peel ply absorbs it. Just squeegue out the layup and use it.
Save all those fake credit cards from spam mail. They make great squeegies.
Vinegar works great for clean up. Cuts epoxy just as good as solvents and no harm to your body.
Nitrile gloves. Nuf said
Syringes work great for pulling product from the can and dispensing.
Check my blog for a really cool epoxy calculator on Excel.
Best of luck.

The sticky that Dan H posted in the fiberglass thread will definitely get you started in making your own parts. I followed it to make my own empennage gap fairing and it came out great.

To answer your question directly, there is an EAA composites class in January in Las Vegas. While it's not directly aimed at RVs it would be a great class to take.

Last January, I took the the EAA "Fiberglass Techniques for RV aircraft"...great course. While there we discussed the composites class and it sounded like a very useful class too.

I do not know if it is still available but I bought Sam James dvd and found it very good. I got it from Aircraft Spruce. Then I got some various components and started doing some experimenting.

Back