What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

countersink for composites

jcbarker

Well Known Member
Hello all:
Anybody know where to get carbide tipped countersinks for composites. I bought a couple of these for my -8. Worked ok but loaded up.
IMG_0762.JPG

I’ve been very happy with the Permagrit countersinks as shown in your photo. They can be cleaned quite easily. So far I have just brushed mine down after use, but the Permagrit website has detailed cleaning instructions. I’ve probably done 200 or so holes and still performing like new.
Cheers DaveH

Dremel

I made one. Dremel stone. Run the Dremel while gently working the angle on a fine grinding wheel. I use it for #40 and #30. Just takes a light touch for a second or two. I finish the countersinks with a cutter to make sure they are perfect but almost nothing gets removed. Home made Dremel bit works pretty good and didn't cost anything. I had the stone bit.

Wicks usually carries a selection of Perma-Tex items, and purchasing directly from the company in U.K. also works well. Searching this website by their name reveals a few other items that people have found useful.

I do a lot of countersinking in carbon fiber, and I have found that it dulls ordinary high speed steel countersink bits very quickly. Each set of my CElipse wingtips requires 96 #12 holes to be countersunk, and a brand new bit is basically done for by the time I get to the last one. I have tried sharpening the bits, but it is finicky and I don't really trust them.

I have just ordered a solid carbide countersink and a less-expensive carbide-tipped countersink from Pan American Tool. Once I make sure they work well in the material, I will see how well they hold up.

(https://www.panamericantool.com/countersinks.html)

I do a lot of countersinking in carbon fiber, and I have found that it dulls ordinary high speed steel countersink bits very quickly. Each set of my CElipse wingtips requires 96 #12 holes to be countersunk, and a brand new bit is basically done for by the time I get to the last one. I have tried sharpening the bits, but it is finicky and I don't really trust them.

I have just ordered a solid carbide countersink and a less-expensive carbide-tipped countersink from Pan American Tool. Once I make sure they work well in the material, I will see how well they hold up.

(https://www.panamericantool.com/countersinks.html)

Thanks Bob:
I look forward to hearing your report. I'm looking at the carbide c'sinks from Pan American as well. They sell c'sinks for our Micro Stops so that would help. I'm thinking 3 flute.

Back