What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fastback Rollbar Height

msstahl

Any fastback builders able to tell me how high above the front seatback support their roll bar is? I believe this is somewhat dependent upon canopy height but I'm just looking to know if the stock bar needs to be cut down significantly.

You’ll need to trim it quite a bit. I didn’t trim/install mine until after the canopy was completely finished and installed. I sat in the back seat with the canopy closed and took measurements. I can look today and see how much clearance I have between bar and canopy.

Height

Mine from top of seat back support to top of roll ball measures 14.5”. I have about 2” clearance from top of roll bar to canopy. Much if this is personal preference. Just make sure you finalize canopy profile before installing roll bar.

I was hoping to avoid having to remove and reinstall the front seat back support after the fuse side rails were installed but I agree with your experience that it should be addressed post canopy install.

Any tricks to removal and reinstall without scuffing the side plate paint?

Reinstall

Lost count how many times I have taken the seat back support out and reinstalled. Just like the cowl, after doing it multiple times you figure out the best sequence and technique. I used masking tape on both fuselage and seat back sides, use clecos for temporary install.

I'd leave the original seat back there for canopy fitting. It reinforces the sides of the cockpit. Once you get your canopy profile selected and cut out and bonded to the cradle and practically done, then remove the seat back support and weld on the roll bar. I'd save it for last.

Back