What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Photos of Engine mounted oil cooler exits??

Kooshball

Well Known Member
I am curious to see some photos of what folks have done with the exit of oil coolers mounted behind the rear cylinder on an installation with plenums vs baffling. I have been reading about diffusers, ducting via scat, ?do nothing?, etc am looking for best practices.

Thx

Mine (w/ plenum) is mounted behind the #4 cyl with nothing for ducting. I have to cover about a quarter of the cooler, even in the summer Georgia heat, to keep temps around 180-200.

xGzqyv7h.jpg

Last edited:
Suggest mount it per the FWF plans for now, and only IF you have issues, look into specialty modifications/ducting/louvers etc. Oil cooler should work the same with either closed plenum or stock baffle system.

I am curious to see some photos of what folks have done with the exit of oil coolers mounted behind the rear cylinder on an installation with plenums vs baffling. I have been reading about diffusers, ducting via scat, ?do nothing?, etc am looking for best practices.

Thx

I mounted mine as per the drawings and like many others found the baffles starting to crack after 50 hrs in the corner behind #4 cyl. I modified the baffles as per many posts. I then found cracks in the cooler mounting flanges. I mounted the new cooler from the engine mount and fabricated some glass transition ducts using 4" SCAT to connect. No cooling or cracking issues in the 250 hrs since the mod. Sorry no photos but there many posts with pics showing different mods.

Oil Cooler exit

Mine is mounted per the plans behind the #4 cylinder. With the louvre style airflow control. No ducting for the exit air. The louvers block some airflow even when fully open, but temps are never 210 even on a slow (for an RV) speed climb on a HOT Texas summer day.

Sorry, No picture.... it looks like most other RV?s 😎

This was my last RV8 build using the larger SW oil cooler and using a plenum. It requires a larger hole in the rear baffle as well. Mounted it lower on the rear baffle at an angle which allows plenty of cooling on cyl 4 without scavenging its cooling air. 200 hours so far an no issues. My other RV8 has the stock Van's oil cooler mounted on the firewall ducted from the rear baffle behind cyl 4. That engine also has a plenum. Either way works fine but I like having a cleaner firewall look. No issues with engine cooling or oil temps on either plane.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xKTT3onyE3FmavPd9

Last edited:
This was my last RV8 build using the larger SW oil cooler and using a plenum. It requires a larger hole in the rear baffle as well. Mounted it lower on the rear baffle at an angle which allows plenty of cooling on cyl 4 without scavenging its cooling air. 200 hours so far an no issues. My other RV8 has the stock Van's oil cooler mounted on the firewall ducted from the rear baffle behind cyl 4. That engine also has a plenum. Either way works fine but I like having a cleaner firewall look. No issues with engine cooling or oil temps on either plane.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xKTT3onyE3FmavPd9

How far up does the rear baffle go behind the #4 cyl in your installation?

Back