What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introducing the RV-15!

Some things I recall from attending the RV-15 forum and talking with some of the engineers:
- This plane is more like a "proof of concept". Another plane will be built that will be a "prototype" of the actual kits that will be sold.
- The flight envelope hasn't been fully explored, yet.
- The 46" cabin width is measured on the outside of the fuselage.
- A third seat for an observer in back (because flight schools like this option) is envisioned for the tri-gear model.
- The flap length and travel are both longer than needed and will likely be reduced.
- The wingspan will likely be reduced to 34' or less to more easily fit in a hangar.
- The aileron and stabilator/elevator actuation is by pushrods and bellcranks. The aileron actuation in particular is surely a work of art with all of the changes of direction needed to get from the stick to the aileron. Unfortunately, it's nearly all hidden from view.
- Fuel selector will likely be floor mounted.
- No plans for folding wings.
- Stabilator was used to make sure they had enough pitch authority. Could change to a horizontal stabilizer/elevator combo.
- The current fuel tank placement in the fuselage is for flight testing different cg ranges and to allow making changes to the wing easier. Final fuel tank placement will be in the wings. 50 gallon capacity is a number I heard mentioned.
- The ongoing success of the low wing designs funds the development of the RV-15.

Hearing from the designers and engineers directly inspires confidence. They are talented, experienced, inventive, clever, dedicated, thoughtful and downright enthusiastic about the plane. Most all that I talked to wanted to build one themselves.

Last edited:
I am beginning to feel sorry for Van's engineering team.

how about a IO-540 up front? It'll be a beast!

Can we please slow down? The plane does great now in the current config in which it was designed to.

How?

Can we please slow down? The plane does great now in the current config in which it was designed to.

So how slow CAN you go?

Enjoy the trip back. I suspect you will be doing some "sight seeing" along the way, like maybe a Johnson Creek diversion?

Time for that calendar picture.

Gosh, I do hope this evolves into a 540-powered 4-seater…

Er...you know Vans announced the RV-16 last year as a 4 seat high wing bush capable airplane? Considering the IO-390 from the RV-14 is the actual engine used in the RV-15, I expect an IO-540 from an RV-10 will be the actual engine used in the RV-16.

Could be

Er...you know Vans announced the RV-16 last year as a 4 seat high wing bush capable airplane? Considering the IO-390 from the RV-14 is the actual engine used in the RV-15, I expect an IO-540 from an RV-10 will be the actual engine used in the RV-16.

Could the RV15 presented at Osh be the prototype for both the RV15 and. 16?

It seems that we have reached the fringe of the wish list, how about a IO-540 up front?
It'll be a beast!
:rolleyes:
That’s kind of funny, because that is the exact nick name that we have been using….. with just a lowly little Lyc. IO-390 EXP119. :rolleyes:

215 hp?

Conversely, why does the RV-15 need 215 hp, versus C170 that has 145 hp? Is it because the RV-15 airframe is HEAVY?

Conversely, why does the RV-15 need 215 hp, versus C170 that has 145 hp? Is it because the RV-15 airframe is HEAVY?

Nope. The 170 weight and the target weight for the kit RV-15 are essentially the same. We just want to do more.

Ask anyone with a C170. One of the few shortcomings it has is that it is woefully underpowered. The O-360 STC helps a ton. the IO-390 would be even better!

Ummm…. Do you have info on this? Because I don’t think this is accurate at all.

Ummm…. Do you have info on this? Because I don’t think this is accurate at all.

Definitely not accurate. Not even true.

Last edited:
I’d imagine the engineering work going into your first high wing when you have only built low wing aircraft to this point is more substantial than your second or 3rd high wing aircraft so I’d be shocked if this is the last high wing. That said I could see a RV 14 high wing size before a Cessna 180/185 size

joking

" oh i wish I was a Vans,
that is what i truly want to be,
because if i was a Vans,
everyone would be in love with me."
Cessna 172

Yes, this is a nice seating position. Kinda like sitting in a dining room chair.
View attachment 28358
Look how nice it would be to work on the brakes.

BIG DRAWBACK..... fueling.

note......I would add a fold down arm rest on the side of the seat. Also, those seats would make great campsite seating.

I'm a weird hybrid with amputations on both feet, I hate low winged stuff I gotta crawl onto to get in & out of, its twice as much work as refueling a high wing. I may load and unload 4 times about every tank of gas. If my feet are worn out for the day, or its bitter cold winter weather etc, I'll gladly land somewhere with an open FBO that refuels it for me.

If this thread teaches us anything, it’s that, even though this is VAF, it’s still the internet.

You are sooooo right on the money there!

The only heated discussion I've not heard yet is the perpetual debate over a sliding vs tip-up canopy. Maybe we can be grateful to the Vans team for saving us from that one.

:D

The only heated discussion I've not heard yet is the perpetual debate over a sliding vs tip-up canopy.

Well, now that you mention it... I don't really care about the "head-to-toe glass" gimmick featured on the current prototype, but I do sure hope the final design of the doors features Cessna-style (or Cub-style) windows that can be opened on the ground and in flight.

Full-on glass is just modern aviation asserting itself. As to the doors…seems like that’s one of the items that will be ripe for the aviation aftermarket in 3-5 years when builders start getting to that step in the build process.

Full-on glass is just modern aviation asserting itself. As to the doors…seems like that’s one of the items that will be ripe for the aviation aftermarket in 3-5 years when builders start getting to that step in the build process.

And/or we offer some options. :)

The only heated discussion I've not heard yet is the perpetual debate over a sliding vs tip-up canopy. Maybe we can be grateful to the Vans team for saving us from that one.

Well there are those two roof lights… they could be tilt or slide sun roofs to the clever builder…

I really like those doors, but it would be really great if they could slide rearwards like a van door...

I`m impressed, following the RV-15 with great anticipation..

interested in picking up a wing or tail kit when available

I had a thought...what if the RV-15 could be 2 planes in one..

Builder could buy the wing kit and then decide later if they wanted to build the 2 place RV-15 or the 4 place RV-XX...the 2 models sharing the same wing..

The Bearhawk model B (4 place) and Bearhawk 5 (6 place) share the same exact wing...the engine, fuse and tail are different

It appears as the RV-15 wing has a lot of potential for a higher gross plane

Just a thought

To be clear, Van's has not said or announced anything about a 4-place airplane (other than the RV-10 of course). Lots of guesses and wishes floating around out there about what we might make in the future - but for the record, all are just that rather than being based in fact.

We're focused on this airplane for a while. :)

I guess I might feel differently if the doors folded upwards like they do on your Rans.

I am genuinely curious how the opening direction of the door would make an entirely glass door less of a gimmick when the amount of clear area in the door only comes into play when the door is closed????

I am genuinely curious how the opening direction of the door would make an entirely glass door less of a gimmick when the amount of clear area in the door only comes into play when the door is closed????

The full sentence from my post was:

I don't really care about the "head-to-toe glass" gimmick featured on the current prototype, but I do sure hope the final design of the doors features Cessna-style (or Cub-style) windows that can be opened on the ground and in flight.

My point was that if I had to choose between an all-glass door and a different design that would provide real airflow on the ground, I'd pick ventilation every time!

A top hinge lets the door open for taxi and in some cases even in flight.

It does have the disadvantage of attracting foreheads, however.

Compromises...........

I have a *ans S21 as well & I always taxi with the door fully open in hot weather. Door is held up with a gas strut by design. Tons of cooling breeze!

I have a *ans S21 as well & I always taxi with the door fully open in hot weather. Door is held up with a gas strut by design. Tons of cooling breeze!

The Cherokee has the forward hinge design so pop open the door and you get plenty of cooling breeze even when it has only one door. The doors naturally close with the freestream when you forget to latch them close. The nice big plexiglass door will be hard to close if they are hinged to open upward.

Actually no big deal, slow to 60-65, reach up & pull the door closed with the loop on the door frame provided for closing. Standard procedure for the S21.

Greg is saying it will be 140 knots which is 161mph

The 21 was I flying behind a 915 has a TAS of 128, huge difference

That’s really good, my best TAS at 7500 & 7.7 gph has been 134kts true. Typical cruise is 130-132kts. I can hit 140+ but it takes close to 10gph

The first guy to flip an RV15 will appreciate three things......

1. He has a far better chance of not suffering any injuries.
2. The door will open the same way upside down.
3. He won't damage the door exiting the aircraft....:D

Whats also a plus is the baggage door is large enough to easily crawl through and become an emergency exit if needed

Last edited:
Whats also a plus is the baggage door is large enough to easily crawl through and become an emergency exit if needed

Sh*t ... not if my wife is with me ... it will be jammed packed with 25 changes of clothes for a 3 day trip :D

Um, you guys better go check the Van's Aircraft website. RV-15 added under aircraft with a few interesting specs, don't remember seeing it their before.

Shows target of 140kt cruise and 2+2 config

Maybe I just missed the memo though

Last edited:
Back