What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DOA Garmin SL40

Grezdlitn

Friend
I are a SL40 that was DOA and upon opening I discovered a component on the board that has obviously burned up. I’m guessing it’s some kind of capacitor. If you zoom on the picture it’s clearly visible below the large capacitor. If someone can advise me as to what it is, I’m fairly sure I can repair it. Mouser supply would be my source if I just knew what to search for. TIA !

Attachments

• B9C9028C-5B40-47E4-9A44-E32DF042149A.jpg
    B9C9028C-5B40-47E4-9A44-E32DF042149A.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 235
Wow, that looks horrible. But looking at the photo (which I see rotated 90 deg, burned thing is to the right of the large capacitor) I think it might be the same thing as is just above it (right of it in your photo), with orange-red tape on it (?). I see another pair of the same things, above (to the right, for you) the large capacitor.
You might ask around some avionics shops, see if they'll let you look at their (no longer valid) repair manual for the SL40, see if you can ID it that way.

It's a tantalum capacitor. I've seen those fail in Garmin radios before.

This series on Mouser looks similar:
https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-co...um-capacitors-solid-smd/?m=Vishay&series=594D

The trick will be to figure out the voltage rating and capacitance of the original. You might check to see if the burned capacitor is wired in parallel with the good one next to it. If so, you might be able to measure the dimensions, capacitance, and operating voltage of the remaining good one to help narrow down the options for the replacement.

Back