What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ordering Engine

50Pesos

I’m trying to take advantage of placing an order before the price hike. However there are a lot of choices and not a lot of clarity on picking. I’m leaning towards the SDS. I have no idea about compression ratios, cylinders, oil filter attachment. On a scale of 1-10 off the Vans stock was a 5 I’d like to be at 7ish. I don’t need the absolute hottest for breather. Reliability is 10, ease of maintenance is a 9

Looks like you may have missed the deadline from Vans, however I'm hearing that one of the other engine build shops in Canada had a different deadline with Lycoming. They were even talking about allowing you to purchase and they would store the parts for a period of time before they built the engine so you didn't have to worry about warranty or corrosion. I would recommend you talk to them about options like SDS and other "upgrades" like compressions. They can give you some good advice.

All 3rd hand info I got from a FB posting, so take with a grain of salt.

Yes, that’s who I am talking with. But the choices are a bit overwhelming. I’m looking for guidance, opinions, and of course regrets.

Sending you a PM regarding my decisions. Lots of people have deep beliefs that their choices are the "right ones". Could even be as interesting as discussing primers.

Honestly don't think you can go wrong with any choice. Just depends on what you are comfortable with.

I know when I purchased my Titan engine making all of the selections took some time. I'm not sure if there are as many options with the Lycoming, but it took me a little while to review all of the options and to make my final selection. Fuel injection type, compression ratio, PMAGs and etc. As a first time engine buyer I could never have done that in just one day.

Sending you a PM regarding my decisions. Lots of people have deep beliefs that their choices are the "right ones". Could even be as interesting as discussing primers.

Honestly don't think you can go wrong with any choice. Just depends on what you are comfortable with.

Would you mind sending me that same decision list on engine choices? I came here this morning looking for that kind of info.

thanks on advance.

bob

Kamloops Canada

Why not ask the companies that build em. Bought mine from these guys based on many satisfied RV’rs. They build em. Rebuild em. Have a great warranty. Doubt they want to fix em on their warranty dime, so they can steer u in the right direction. Totally satisfied.

Would you mind sending me that same decision list on engine choices? I came here this morning looking for that kind of info.

thanks on advance.

bob

Here are my choices with Aero Sport Power:
Standard/no discussion seems to be roller lifters and counterweighted crankshaft
then my selection:
Dual SDS ignition and injection
Straight oil adapter to go with AC compressor
149-NL starter to go with SF AC compressor
Vacuum pump housing (for second alternator)
Dual B&C alternators (60A LX60 and 30 A BC410-H)
9:1 compression pistons

/Martin

More data

Barrett engine

Wide deck
9:1
Cold air induction
EFII injection and ignition
Reiff preheat
B&C starter
B&C main alternator
B&C 410 standby alternator
B&C LR3 regulators

Just bought an IO-540 from Thunderbolt. It will have a cold air sump and come with no mags (with a credit for the mags). I will install dual six cylinder pMags on the engine. My old RV-10 is flying with this pMag for a year now and it provides significant cruise efficiency over the standard mags.

Thunderbolt offered to put in 9 to 1 pistons at no extra charge and I declined. I’m staying with the stock 8.5 pistons (the engine specs 91-93 octane fuel). Considering the recent $5.50+ 100LL prices I paid I wanted to have the option to burn 93 octane ethanol free pump gas. I’m burning this gas now from time to time in my 180hp RV-8. The ~10hp penalty compared to 9 to 1 pistons is, for me, in the grass.

Perhaps I’m paranoid, but I don’t see any 100UL novelty fuel on the horizon at any price - and a lot of government pressure to make 100LL go away.

Carl

Perhaps I’m paranoid, but I don’t see any 100UL novelty fuel on the horizon at any price - and a lot of government pressure to make 100LL go away.

Carl

I have the same concern. I'm a long way away from ordering an engine but when the time comes, the ability to burn something other than 100LL and still be a traditional (non-auto conversion) aircraft engine is going to be key for me.

Some have concerns about 100LL going away. I decided not to worry about it so I have the high compression engine. That is the main trade off. I'd be willing to bet that I'm gone before 100LL but that's just me. We all get to make our own decisions for what we think is best. High compression pistons give you a lot of bang for the buck so I think its a good tradeoff.

Back