What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loose Fuel Caps

UrbanM

List,
After rebuilding my fuel caps I still have just a bit of looseness or play when the cap is fully closed. This looseness was the reason for repairing in the first place. Can these come off in flight if the tab is completely down and flush? Is there a guide online somewhere to help with adjustment? Also, can you put Krytox directly on the O rings?
Thanks,
Kirk

You adjust by loosening the nut, turning the plate in or out, then tightening the nut. Fuel lube is good for the o ring.

It should be snug.

Do not use fuel lube for Usher caps, Krytox is great for both o-rings. When you rebuilt, you did remove the nut on the bottom, right? Just slowly tighten it until the lever closes with a light force, but not stiff. Just be sure the large o-ring and lever base is lubed first. I used a BB size blob of Krytox on my Usher caps and it/they still closed tight and easy after 18+ months. Krytox won't get stiff, sticky, dissolve in gasoline and works well below freezing.

If loose it will leak water and can depart in flight.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys! I"ve got a little adjusting to do one one side. Fortunately the plane came with a vast assortment of spare parts and tools including a spare set of the brown O rings. I will order another set to have handy for the next time.
Kirk

Back