What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport overhead console install question

MFMarch

When installing the Aerosport overhead console, what has everyone done to handle the backing strip for the rivets on the final rivet install since the center part of the cabin top will be unavailable for the strip?
I am considering getting it all drilled then epoxy it to the cabin top before installing the console. Will that work?

Can you post a photo or snippet from the plans? I?m not sure what you?re referring to by your description.

The mold was made off my cabin cover, so I was on of the earlier implementations of the overhead console.

I don?t recall deviating at all from the Van?s rivet schedule in the plans.

When installing the Aerosport overhead console, what has everyone done to handle the backing strip for the rivets on the final rivet install since the center part of the cabin top will be unavailable for the strip?
I am considering getting it all drilled then epoxy it to the cabin top before installing the console. Will that work?

After drilling it, I cut the backing strip into three pieces. The center piece was held in place with clecos when I mount the console to the top. To install the skin aft of the cabin top, put a couple of pieces of tape to hold the center portion of the strip and pull out the clecos if the strip is not already secured from the console bonding process.

Larry

Last edited:
The callout for the rivet line that is covered by the console is for CS4-4 pulled rivets.

and it also calls out an aluminum backing strip to support the inside of the cabin top for those rivets, which I believe is what the OP was asking about.

and it also calls out an aluminum backing strip to support the inside of the cabin top for those rivets, which I believe is what the OP was asking about.

It?s simple to cleco the backing strip in place and then pull the rivets. I?m having a hard time understanding what the problem is I guess.

As I recall, I was able to slip the backing strip between the overhead console and the inside of the fiberglass top, and then rivet per the plans. I may have left a small section of the cabin top at the aft end without glue to allow the strip to slip into that area, but don't remember.

As I recall, I was able to slip the backing strip between the overhead console and the inside of the fiberglass top, and then rivet per the plans. I may have left a small section of the cabin top at the aft end without glue to allow the strip to slip into that area, but don't remember.

That's what I did.

The strip will get covered by the Aerosport cabin trim.

A picture

Yep, it's really not a problem. Here's a picture of my cabin top just as it was ready to go on permanently. You can see the strip sitting in position at the rear, held in place by a couple of clecos. Five minutes after this photo was taken, the top was on. I've posted a link so you can get the full resolution photo:

http://www.tasrv10.com/?attachment_id=2318

Regards,

Adrian

Bob, I don' know how to post a picture that was cut from the plans, but it is Figure 4 on Page 43-9, Step 9. The console will make access to the top of the cabin impossible once it is glued down.

It looks like I need to wait until the doors are mounted, etc, (finish kit) before I mount the overhead console to accommodate the door hinges.

It looks like I need to wait until the doors are mounted, etc, (finish kit) before I mount the overhead console to accommodate the door hinges.

console does not interfere with hinges, though you will need some cut out or grafting for the strut brackets. Will be easier to install when these are mounted.

Larry

Back