What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaning into cockpit, how do you not slide down wing?

gnuse

Well Known Member
I hate leaning over the fuselage to undo the multitude of screws inside my RV-8. To add to that there is the aggravation of sliding down the wing and painful knees. Maybe it is winter and cold temps make it worse, but today I decided to ask the knowledge base know as VAF for advice. Surely there must be some better solutions than I have found.

Foam pads for my sore knees

I lay (thick) foam pads/exercise mats, etc on the wing --- the wing walk keeps them from sliding off --- I also always use small step ladders to keep weight off of steps.

Ron

Jack up the tail so that it is in a level flight attitude - its way more comfortable working in or around the cockpit when it is level!

I jack up the tail too. Then I put a foam pad on the wing so me knees don't mess with me, and a pad on the top longeron so as not to bruise my chest while I'm leaning in. Usually end up with some chest pain for a day or so afterward!

This may not work for everybody, but I get someone younger and smaller to do this part. :D

Thanks for the input.

I wonder if my wife will miss her Yoga pad.

As for leveling the aircraft that is good if there is a way to accomplish this. I have been hoping to find one of those tail lifts that were discontinued.

Jesse, I agree completely with that statement.

I have been hoping to find one of those tail lifts that were discontinued.

A two-part hoist line from the ceiling is a lot faster. Takes about 30 seconds to put the tail on the stand.

Of course it's only practical with a t-hangar, where the airplane parks in the same place every time. Palatial digs may indeed require a Tailmate

Engine hoist and lifting strap from HF to raise the tail, then a sturdy, padded saw horse under the aft bulkhead. Seat back cushion over the longeron and seat cushion on the wing to kneel on.

I made an electronics service board from plywood, about a foot wide, and a pair of 2x6's screwed in across the ends.
One at the leading edge to keep the plywood from slipping back, and one on the wing to hold the plywood level. Then I could sit in the RV-8 front seat, and keep tools, parts etc on this level bench. The aft end of the bench is not to the tailing edge. There is enough room to stand on the wing walk and get in the plane. This reduces the number of times I need to get in and out of the plane, depending on my ability to plan ahead (limited).
I use a common lawn chair to step up onto the wing when using my electronics service board, also when I need to spend more than a few seconds with my knee on the wing, like if I am hooking the battery charger to the fuse panel or packing stuff around the pilot seat for a trip.
Yes, the angle of the wing is annoying at times, my wife's RV-4 is much friendlier. However, as much as I love the RV-4, it is not an RV-8.

To those saying trade it for an A, bang, bang. For a 7.. bang bang bang..

Back to my coffee..

Thanks for the input.

I wonder if my wife will miss her Yoga pad.

As for leveling the aircraft that is good if there is a way to accomplish this. I have been hoping to find one of those tail lifts that were discontinued.

Jesse, I agree completely with that statement.

I've cut an old "egg-crate" foam pad I dug out of my Boy Scout camping supplies. I also pick up the tail and sit it on a sawhorse. This not only keeps YOU from sliding around, but also the screws, nuts and tools.

Back