What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Zip tie bases

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Working through some cable/hose management ideas for my build. I've seen some ideas of using Adel clamps or making similar clamps out of scrap aluminium but these require you to rivet or run a bolt through ribs, jstiffners ect. I have somewhat of a concern about drilling through these things.

Has anyone had any success using a standard self adhesive zip tie base?

01-adhesive-base_red-cable-tie.jpg

I've used these on a number of non aviation applications. Over time they come off, so I would probably use something like G/flex to bond them in place, but after that it's just a matter of using zipties to manage hoses, wires, ect.

Thanks for any input.

Yes and no. Definitely no only using the adhesive backing they come with. I've had much better success scraping the adhesive off and "gluing" them in-place with Goop All purpose adhesive.

zip tie bases

I've used a lot of these from Home Depot, with very careful prep (mechanical clean, solvent, Scotchbrite) of surface to be adhered to and occasional augment of cement. Also used heat gun to heat up the surface before application.Only one of at least 100 came off in 5 years. Tried Click Bond also, following all the prep instructions to the "T". Three of about 20 fell off within a week. Don't use those anymore. YMMV. I don't know if all the bases have identical adhesive or if they're equally fresh at purchase?

Use Proseal or 3M 2216 adhesive

We use these in many applications on heavy jets at my day job.They are also available without the adhesive tape on them,but its easy enough to remove. They will last a life time if bonded with Proseal or 3M 2216 adhesive. I used them in many places on my -4, and Proseal or 3M 2216 is my go-to adhesive for almost everything.

Click-Bond

I used Click-Bond all over my RV-7A and only had one come off. I used them on metal after scratching with a Scotch-Brite pad and cleaning with acetone. I also used it on fiberglass to anchor their nutplates to attach the wingtip. I really like them

Glad to hear people have had success with these. I'll go for it but still use G/flex or splurge for 3M 2216 to attach them. Will do the typical method of taping off an area and sanding down to bare aluminium prior to attaching. I think I'll also use an orange zip tie too... one because I like the color orange, two so if they do fall off it's more noticeable than a black zip tie hiding in the tail or fuselage.

On sizing do most people use the 1" ones, I think they come in 3/4 and 1.5+..

Just came across these...

HDM250HIRC2.JPG

dimensions are 1.4" long, 3/4" wide. So this one is a tad too big, but I like the idea of gluing these from Jstiffners and managing cables, hoses, ect.

I'd use the Click-Bond aviation grade bases. I don't think ones from Home Depot would last.
CB3019-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've used the Home Depot version and the Click Bond version. The click bonds have held up well in an oily environment. The stick-on's from HD came loose within a year in a pretty benign environment.

Shoe goo plus the HD version sounds like something to try.

I used the peel-n-stick (foam tape) variety from Radio Shack. They're still in place after 8+ years. I used acetone to clean the bare metal before sticking the pad to the surface.

Yes and no. Definitely no only using the adhesive backing they come with. I've had much better success scraping the adhesive off and "gluing" them in-place with Goop All purpose adhesive.

Exactly what I recommend, except I use Goop Automotive Trim Adhesive, available at any auto parts store.

+1. PO of my RV9A used these, sparingly, to route cables in the tunnel and in a few places behind the panel. During my AP upgrade, I had to remove some and they were still stuck on pretty good after 7 years and 600 hours.

I used the peel-n-stick (foam tape) variety from Radio Shack. They're still in place after 8+ years. I used acetone to clean the bare metal before sticking the pad to the surface.

I used the peel-and-stick bases from SteinAir, but mostly for wiring runs back to the tail that lie flat on the floor of the fuselage. Any place where's there's tension on the harness, I used either Adel clamps or ProSeal the bases down.

ProSeal is amazing stuff, but messy!!

Last edited:
I started with 3 of the Click-Bond pads to secure a large wire bundle and all failed to hold. After clean up and re-prepping JB Weld works fine. For lightweight retention (RG400 or just a couple of wires) I use the 3/4" squares with 3M Super Strength double-sided molding tape or 3M Extreme Mounting Tape. With the tape mounting you can at least cut them off if you ever change your wire routing in the future.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I'd use the Click-Bond aviation grade bases. I don't think ones from Home Depot would last.

And yet they do. Surface prep is important (gotta be clean - acetone or naptha) as is respecting the capacity. They've held on for 3yrs/550ish hours on my -6A.

I used the locally sourced stick-on bases with the stick-on tape peeled off. Cleaned (alcohol), scuffed with 36 grit sandpaper and cleaned again. Same treatment to the application spot, then applied with Goop. I'm not sure I could get them off if I wanted to. Not used FWF, however.

devcon plastic welder

I bought a large bag of the stick on types at HD for cheap. I peel the sticky backing off, clean and scuff the surface and glue them on with Devcon home plastic welder PN 22045. You can get a tube of the stuff at various places like Ace Hardware, TAP Plastics automotive stores or about a zillion other places. Here's a link for Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Devcon-22045-Plastic-Welder-Dev-Tube/dp/B003NUGL9S

I used a couple to secure my main wiring runs on the RV-10 subpanel. For those I used an LP4-3 pull rivet in the center hole but I think the adhesive alone would work just fine. The stuff sets up hard as nails.

The only potential negative being the shelf life of the unused stuff is not indefinite. Don't expect to use it again several months after you initially opened it.

I have a question regarding the photo above, - What is the 2024-T3 material thickness for the blue ELT bracket riveted to the stringers ? .050 or .040 ??

I rather make one myself than buying it .. :)

As others have mentioned, I peel off the spongy sticky pad and use Shoe Goo. It's not too expensive and I don't think it will ever come off.

Glenn 654

I second the Amazing Goop! I left the adhesive on but then put Goop around the perimeter. They just keep on sticking.

Back