What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle cable help please

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I can't get a picture to load in my hangar but I could use some advice. On the hard end of the throttle and mixture cables, where they attach to the carb, I have some loose boots. The are small black rubber boots that may be designed to keep grime out of the cables.

Oops. I think I have the pic.

Screenshot_2015-12-20-10-57-19_zpssmzcmv2j.jpg

Are their boots circled in red significant? I saw them loose or split during my preflight and hate to fly again if they should be fixed first. Thanks! Andy

Interesting how the 'plastic' have split due to the heat - As you say they are in that place to stop dirt and grime. Who is the supplier of the cable ? I wonder what the temperature rating is of the cable.

Those don't look like the cables that Van's sells - more like ACS cables (which are just fine). So you can probably see if ACS sells replacement boots. Meanwhile, you won't fall out of the sky with them like that. I've seen installations where someone lost or forgot them. Might well accelerate cable wear, but not overnight.

That's great guys thanks. I had to pull the cowl because I found a clamp in one of my heat muffs that for some reason had the adjustment screw up against the cowl. I found the boot problem then.

I'll have to look for the supplier. I'm not sure who they came from. Hopefully A S .

Thanks again! Andy

Last edited:
Looks like both brackets have been altered..... Vans cables might not fit. You should find the part number on the other end.

Mine too, but NOT FLOWN YET!

Hello Andy

Mine looks the same, but the very interesting thing is, I have not flown the plane yet! it is brand new :eek:

So they got the first time warm when the cowling was mounted after the first engine run. So after 1h of ground ops they are tosted :mad: Bad quality ... mine are from Vans.

Will look for replacment.

My original cable boots barely survived a hundred hours since first flight. They disintegrated completely. Replacements came in blue and are still holding after 2K hours :)

Wow Swisseagle, I guess they don't last long! I have no idea how long mine have been split. I like the blue ones Vlad has. Maybe a different temperature rubber or silicon.

Replacements came in blue and are still holding after 2K hours

Vlad, I bought a bag of those black ones long time ago from Spruce and as you point out, they don't last!! I want what you got! Where'd you get the blue ones?
Thanks,
Tobin

Vlad, I bought a bag of those black ones long time ago from Spruce and as you point out, they don't last!! I want what you got! Where'd you get the blue ones?
Thanks,
Tobin

Those came from ACS later 2011 Tobin. I believe they ship all blue now.

Thanks for this thread. I have some of the blue ones in stock but had not gotten the gumption to put them on because I had the (now obvious) mistaken belief that they would not last any longer than the black ones.

I'll put them on during upcoming maintenance. :)

Back