What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling AN bolt

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I received an AN7-21A bolt rather than the AN7-21 called for. Any issues drilling into the threads of an AN7 bolt for a castle nut cotter pin?
Thanks

I drilled it and cleaned up the threads. It's at a very visible location and easy to keep an eye on.

One idea for accomplishing your goal:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/319041.html?1351279141

Because you will be drilling the hole and cleaning up the threads after the cadmium plating operation, the areas where you remove the yellow cad plating will corrode much faster than a standard AN7-21 bolt. Whether or not this matters is a choice only you can make.

I have done many this way. Just have to be careful the drill bit goes straight, the small ones drift off easily. I drilled each side of the nut separately for that reason.

I have done many this way. Just have to be careful the drill bit goes straight, the small ones drift off easily. I drilled each side of the nut separately for that reason.

Good idea to use some cutting oil as well .. any oil is better than trying to drill dry ..

Back