What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aero Engineer ready for take-off

AntoineV

I'm New Here
Hello to all RVators !

After a long time reading this forum full of very useful and interesting informations, I finally created a profile. This is my first post and thread on VAF.

You're doing a great job guys.

I created this thread in order to introduce myself as I am looking to work as an Aeronautical Engineer

Let's start with one of the most important reason that brought me here : I started to build an RV-8 last year (big words for just 215 hours of work when you guys know what completing an RV is all about?).
The empennage is done, but now, I need a stable situation before going deeper into the real stuff.

My friend (and previous classmate) Bastien has had a lot of positive influence when I was performing the "homebuilt aircraft selection" process. Bad idea : he took me with him for two flights?

I firstly had a chance to fly an RV back in 2011 with Terry Brennan, when I was working at the San Diego Air and Space Museum (RV-8A Blue Angels paint scheme, you've probably seen it somewhere).

I'll try to illustrate this topic because it's much more fun with pictures !

Here we are :

TA5bzQ.png

hygwBU.jpg

So, why am I posting here today ?

I am a 23-year-old French Aeronautical Engineer (graduated last year from ESTACA - Master of science), FAA (first) then European Private Pilot (SEL) with a lot of interest for anything that deals with :

- High performance experimental aircrafts
- Light Aircrafts / General aviation
- Research and developments
- Aerodynamics / drag reductions (love the Hoerner book btw)
- Flying qualities
- Structural design and strength calculations
- Composites and metal structures
- Flight testing / general testing
- Innovation / Thinking outside the box
- General mechanics
- Engine and airframe efficiency (one of my favorite aircraft is the Arnold AR-5)

Well, I think you get the idea. Despite I still have a lot to learn :)

My aim would be to work in a small / medium sized company from light aircrafts up to business aircrafts where a lot of challenge is involved.

Somewhere not only the theoretical knowledge but also the "hands on" and flying experience could be appreciated.

I am basically opened to work anywhere in the world. As far as I can love what I do, the rest is accessory.

So far, I have an opportunity in Europe (France : Daher - TBM 900). I came on a recommendation of my former boss and did the interview (unsolicited application so no position is offered at the time).
It went very well because they would like to create a position given my "multi-skills" and adaptable profile.
However, now, the choice has to be made by the boss and the answer could be no if they can't hire an additional engineer due to company constraints.

0312_TBM_airtoair.jpg

I previously worked on a preliminary design project (final engineering internship - 6 months) in the company that designed and manufactures this little helicopter, the Cabri G2.

VsSMJw.png

The company ramped up from 1 to 4 helicopter per month from 2013 to 2015 ! I really liked the spirit of small structures and the closeness of the aircraft.

Here is a r?sum? of my experiences :

5IgXNS.png

You could also see an example of a personal project here (designed and built an anti-torque system for a powered paraglider) :

7lDwR6.png

Otherwise, on the hobby side (because more pics = more fun) I am a paraglider and paramotor team pilot (flight testing, demos and design for a Canadian PPG frames brand), kiteboarder and motorcycle lover (mechanics and driving).

xzHLxg.png

QjueVR.png

I also did the 2014 "young pilots aircraft tour of France" flying a Cessna 172. I learnt a lot and it was a very challenging competition.

PlLlD5.jpg

Thanks to everyone who read this thread and please do not hesitate to contact me if you know somebody or a company that would be interested in this kind of profile.

Fly safe & have fun !

Antoine

Welcome to VAF!

Hello to all RVators !

After a long time reading this forum full of very useful and interesting informations, I finally created a profile. This is my first post and thread on VAF.

Fly safe & have fun !

Antoine

Antoine, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

try Boeing, your diversity should work well for Boeing in Seattle, WA

Jack

Hi Jack (7500;)),

Yes, working for Boeing seems really interesting.
For example if I take those two positions :

- Structural design engineer : http://jobs-boeing.com/washington/entry-level/jobid7937066-structural-design-engineer-level-2-jobs

Or

- Aerodynamics engineer : http://jobs-boeing.com/st-louis/entry-level/jobid7895185-aerodynamics-engineer-level-1_2-jobs

They all deal with what I like.

The problem is :

Even if the first one is related to Commercial Airplanes only (I could understand the problems related to the DoD), they all require to be a US Citizen :

This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a ?US Person? as defined by 22 C.F.R. ? 120.15 is required.

And I am not.

However, I would be happy to read that I am wrong :)

Aero Engineer

Welcome aboard
Building an aircraft is one of the best ways to learn first hand about structural parts. You get to see how they fit and how they work together with other parts. I learned a lot when I built my airplane and I'm still learning.
When building you also get to put in your own systems and equipment and small modifications for your personal comfort.
I have looked at other projects on line and it never ceases to amaze me the ideas others have or come up with. It is fun to dream and it is even better to make your dreams come true.
I'm sure you will find the job of your dreams if you keep searching. I read somewhere once that if you keep knocking the door will open!
Take care young man, I sure admire your enthusiasm.

Welcome aboard
Building an aircraft is one of the best ways to learn first hand about structural parts. You get to see how they fit and how they work together with other parts. I learned a lot when I built my airplane and I'm still learning.
When building you also get to put in your own systems and equipment and small modifications for your personal comfort.
I have looked at other projects on line and it never ceases to amaze me the ideas others have or come up with. It is fun to dream and it is even better to make your dreams come true.
I'm sure you will find the job of your dreams if you keep searching. I read somewhere once that if you keep knocking the door will open!
Take care young man, I sure admire your enthusiasm.

Thanks very much for your message!

I totally agree with your statement : "It is fun to dream and it is even better to make your dreams come true."

Fly safe

Back