What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chinese Dental Cam Borscope Surgery

Kahuna

Moderatoring
Decided to try one of these. Bought from Amazon this one.
3156qM3fq1L.jpg

Dont know why I picked this one. US shipping. 6 LED's. Seemed a good MP. SO I thought Id give it a try.
On arrival, I tried to fit it into a 18mm plug hole. No Joy. Time for surgery. I took a utility knife and scored the plastic and was able to break a piece off.
Dental1.jpg

Dental3.jpg

Then More scoring to break the other half off.
Dental4.jpg

Then heat shrink to keep the pieces together.
Dental5.jpg

My first few photos had some specs on the pictures. I took the camera back apart and cleaned off the sensor and the focal lens plate. That solved the problem. I should have been doing this in a cleaner environment. My shop is no sterile doctors office.
I have fancy imaging programs, but I thought I would try something free and accessible to everyone, Google s Picasa It has both image and video capture for this USB device. There are many other options, but I thought this was pretty nice for the average user. When installing, dont let it take over all your image files. Just uncheck everything during the install and pay attention to what the screens are saying. Like any program, it tries to take over file assignments. Dont let it.

Upon launching, it was pretty straight forward. Click the capture button and stick the camera in the hole. You can watch what your doing on your laptop and snap a shot when ever you like. Here are a few images below. Its important that a camera be able to get to the valves and cyl walls. This does. The video capture is less than exciting so Im not posting any of those. It will capture video, but you had better have a steady hand and patience as the frame rates are slow in recording. The buttons on the camera to snap a picture dont work. But who cares. I can click snap on the program just as well. Also the camera can only get to what it can get to. Its not a steerable flex line or anything like that. But it maneuvers around pretty well and I was able to get the images I was after for this purpose. These pictures from a 150 hour Titan Cylinder on my RV-8.
Holler if you have any questions.
Cylinder Wall 150hr Titan Cylinder
dc%20(1).jpg

Valve closed
dc%20(3).jpg

Valve Open and after cleaning the black specs off the sensor.
snapshot.jpg

It will scare you the first time you look at cylinder internals through a borescope or camera until you get a feel for the way it makes tiny little specks of carbon look like boulders :D

Those exhaust valves look perfect! The color on the face is ideal for an engine burning avgas. Are these Cerminil bore cylinders?

You should copy/paste this review over on Amazon. There are a number of RV-specific reviews over there!

Full disclosure: they tell me that I am an employee...

Back