What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon SkyView owners: thumb drive port ?

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Cut holes in panel for my two Skyviews. Main 10" and pass 7" . I understand updating the skyview with a thumb drive is needed. I wanted to put a connection point on the instrument panel for this drive. ( I see Garmin already did this with their new EFISs.) What have you done to accomplish this? Will I need two Locations or just one? Pics helpful too!

Thanks
Ron in oregon RV9A N421HJ

Ron,
They include one with the RV-12. It mounts flush to the bottom shelf of the panel (facing down toward the floor). Maybe you can order one from Van's and integrate it the same on your RV9? The plans don't have a number for it. It's simply called "USB".

Stein included USB ports for both my Skyviews. He has them in his catalog:

USB Extension Cable

Product ID: USBCABLE3

Allows you to "panel mount" the USB access port for avionics or EFIS's such as the GRT / Grand Rapids Avionics EFIS Screens. These cables are 3' (36") in length. You simply cut a small hole in your panel and insert/mount the cable from the rear. NO more reaching behind the panel for software updates!

On the -12, Van's provides a USB port as part of the wiring harness. It's fixed to the instrument panel shelf, and is out of sight and not all that accessible. Some builders have put a second USB port on the panel using a pigtail from one of the two ports on the back of the Skyview screen. Mine is just above the screen on the right as per the pic. Others have put it to the left of the screen. One builder installed his in the map box.

9679804402_ac0cc74176.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Look below the 7" skyview. These are my two USP ports for the system. The ports are ECF504B-UAA from L-Com.com. They are A to A connectors. The USB wire on the Skyview cable is not a type A, it is something I didn't research. I just got an A-A cable, cut it to appropriate lengths, put on pins and replaced the connector on the factory cable.

Or you could just use any A to A cable and plug it into the back of the Skyview and then the panel mounted connector.

icom

I used two mounted above my radio rack, I will post a pic. They work great. It is a separate unit with two cables, all lcom.

Take care,

/Users/carlbridges/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/Dec 20, 2012/IMG_0993.JPG

Last edited:
Tip-up or slider?

I have a tip-up and rather than cutting the hole for the USB, I simply open the canopy and reach in and plug in the drive.

My SkyView came with the USB extension. Check with Dynon, you may have one in the box.

The DYNON Skyview displays have two USB ports in the back of each display. However, getting to them to update the display can be a hassle. I connected a 12" USB port extension cable from one of the available USB ports on each display to a panel cut out just to the lower left of each display as seen in the picture.

76-TheNewInstrumentPanel_zps4a8a81ff.jpg

Some people just connect the extension cable to the display and tie wrap them somewhere under the panel where it is easy to get to. Just do whatever is best for your airplane.

:cool:

Last edited:
The DYNON Skyview displays have two USB ports in the back of each display. However, getting to them to update the display can be a hassle. I connected a 12" USB port extension cable from one of the available USB ports on each display to a panel cut out just to the lower left of each display as seen in the picture.

76-TheNewInstrumentPanel_zps4a8a81ff.jpg

Some people just connect the extension cable to the display and tie wrap them somewhere under the panel where it is easy to get to. Just do whatever is best for your airplane.

:cool:
Galin, Like the price on those cables from that company you highlighted. Under TWO BUCKS! Thats insane! 3 nutplates cost that much. Thanks, Bruce Ill have to stop by and look at your panel after the next EAA meeting or sooner.
Much appreciated guys!
Ron in Oregon

The Skyview kit that comes with the RV-12 has a USB pigtail, which, as noted, goes under the instrument shelf - a very poor location IMHO.

i-mpTptXL-L.jpg

I relocated it to the front panel above the Ignition Module on the LH side. I'm VERY glad I did as I use it every day. I use the thumbdrive to upload my flight plans, download my flight data after every flight, as well as upload Nav and Terrain database updates monthly, Firmware updates - periodically, and also to dowload and save my SV settings. This allows me to quickly restore my system should the unit go bad (happened to me several times.)

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

Let it dongle

I tie wrapped the USB cable from the main harness behind the panel. The end hangs down on the pilot side just below and slightly behind the panel. Out of sight but easy to find and connect. No added cost. I've only had to connect once/month to update av data or skyview software updates.

I'm mounting mine under panel (dual Skyviews) per the plans for the main (first) USB port. I don't see how it can be that tough to reach under there and snap in the flash drive- simply by feel?
Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but I don't know how it won't work fine in the bottom shelf?

I'm mounting mine under panel (dual Skyviews) per the plans for the main (first) USB port. I don't see how it can be that tough to reach under there and snap in the flash drive- simply by feel?
Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but I don't know how it won't work fine in the bottom shelf?
Alan thanks,Hows that new RV9A flying for you? I hope crazy GOOD! You all gave excellent locations, got some free space here and there. I think I'll sit in the plane today and pick a spot. The forum community will definitely benefit on all these posts.

Thanks GUYS! RV9A
Ron in Oregon

Back